No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Istvan Komaromy  (Read 11467 times)

Offline mvakwana

• Members
Istvan Komaromy
« on: August 25, 2010, 12:10:30 PM »
I am new to the Glass Message Board but is there someone out there who could advise me the best way of selling a number of pieces by Istvan Komaromy?

I approached Bonhams in London and they advised that they had had little success in the past and recommended that I go to Pandolfini's in Italy. This gives me a problem with transporting such beautiful and delicate objects so any help would be much appreciated. I have two nude ladies - one on a globe stand and the other on a tripod stand, a prancing horse, a stag and doe pair and a young deer pair.

Thanks in advance.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Istvan Komaromy
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 12:24:23 PM »
Hi and welcome to the board. I've moved your topic to Market Place as it relates to sales rather than being an identification question.

It may be useful if you can add your approx location (country/county) to your Profile as well please. There are a few people on the board who may be interested depending on where you are.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 03:36:43 PM »
I bet Fieldings Auctionhouse would be interested they are quite big in glass now .

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 08:11:40 PM »
I've sold Komaromy deer on ebay in the past with surprisingly good results, might be worth a try - as with every listing good photos are a must.

Offline tiggie

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 10:59:58 PM »
Hi

I am also new to the message board and have just seen your message about Komaromy. 

My father has been a collector of his work for a long time now and would be very interested in these items.  He would be more than delighted to give you advice and valuation on these pieces, especially as you are in Surrey.

Offline silverstain

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 11:40:08 AM »
I have to say I am doubtful about the advice given to you by Bonhams.
Komaromy has become better known and more sought after in the UK following the appearance of his work on The Antiques Roadshow.
It seems unlikely to me that Italy would be a sensible place for selling these sculptures.
My suggestion would be either an auction in the Home Counties (Komaromy lived and worked in Croydon) - or on eBay.
Whatever you decide please be sure to post details on this message board so that members have the chance of bidding up the price.

Offline mvakwana

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 01:47:42 PM »
My thanks to all for your speedy, and I am sure, sound advice.

I have some high quality (and therefore large file size) photographs of each object and pairs of objects if anyone is interested. I think that I am unable to attach these as a post on this site due to file size restrictions but if anyone would like me to e-mail them direct, please let me have an address. Tiggie would this help your father please? If I had an idea on value it would help me to decide the best course of action as regards sale.

I remember as a young boy (50 years or so ago!) being taken by my parents to Mr Komaromy's house in Shirley, South Croydon and watching him work. It was a jaw-dropping experience that I will never forget - he appeared to create almost without effort - a true master at work. I also recall him saying that each piece had to be oven fired and that many of his creations were destroyed in the process.

My grateful thanks once again.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 02:00:41 PM »
Hi,
I would suggest contacting Michael Jeffery at Woolley and Wallis Auctioneers (01722 424505). They do sell quite a bit of glass and I have had good advice from them in the past. I know Michael would also come out and visit.

Hope this helps,
Greg

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 02:18:44 PM »
Hi,

Just to mention I've also sent you an email.

Thanks,
Greg

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »
I have some high quality (and therefore large file size) photographs of each object and pairs of objects if anyone is interested. I think that I am unable to attach these as a post on this site due to file size restrictions ...

If you'd like to send me copies of your images I can create smaller versions for you that will load onto the board. Click the wee envelope below my name to send email. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand