No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Holmegaard Gulvase Authenticity  (Read 9240 times)

Offline miccie

• Members
Holmegaard Gulvase Authenticity
« on: August 25, 2010, 07:26:28 PM »
Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer their opinion on a recent purchase.  We already own one cased yellow Gulvase and have taken delivery of a second.  However we are seriously doubting the authenticity of this new arrival.

It measures 36.5cms and weighs 1040grams - our concern started when placing it beside our original - such a difference in colour.  Also I note, from the many pictures I have looked at since, that the cased vases have a 'layer' of glass on the base which is almost transparent - the new vase does not have this.  The base (underside) of our original vase appears to have 'circles' whereas the new base is quite flat.

As I have contacted the seller questioning the authenticity and he is adament that it is correct I would appreciate any further advice I can received to help me decide my course of action.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Holmegaard Gulvase Authenticity
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 08:50:52 PM »
Which vase is the one in question?

The vase on the left looks okay to me, as an example of a later yellow/opal vase. The vase on the right... the darker 'custardy' yellow was used on the earlier yellow cased in clear vases (no white interior), but I can't tell from your photo if yours is white inside or not.

Offline miccie

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 04:45:12 AM »
It is the vase on the left which we are concerned about, the vase on the right (the mustardy colour) has a white interior, and is cased in clear , which if you look carefully you will see the layer I am talking about at the bottom.

The vase on the left also has a white interior but does not have the same finish to the bottom.  We are also very concerned that it weighs no more than the smaller vase on the right

Offline miccie

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 05:35:54 AM »
Here are some further photographs, the first two are of the smaller, mustard colour vase, the last two are of the vase I am questioning

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 08:50:43 AM »
I, personally, would be a little more concerned about the custardy/mustardy vase because the colour is a little too dark - but the proportions and finish look to be spot-on so I'd perhaps put it down to colour variation. If you look at Holmegaard's 'coral' colour, it can range from a very vibrant red to a somewhat wishy-washy orange.

The finish of the lighter (in both senses) vase - it looks fine. Here are old photos of my lighter yellow Gulvvase (two v's)...

Offline miccie

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 09:04:23 AM »
Hi, once again thanks for your response and for posting some pictures of your own vases. 

The picture of your 3 vases appears to show that all 3 are cased when looking at the bottom of the vase, i.e. there is a layer of what appears to be almost 'uncoloured' glass.  Certainly I have this on the smaller of my vases, along with some smaller items I from the palet range which I own.  The larger vase does not display this and the underside is very 'smooth'.  Which my two pictures show.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 09:26:02 AM »
They're all handmade, and variations do occur. Besides the thickness of base (my light yellow vase has a very thin base also), every feature of your vase matches up with mine, and base thickness is only down to how much transparent glass the glassblowere happened to use time.

Offline scott redford

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • australia
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 07:19:17 PM »
Hi I have a white Gul vase but it is not cased. Were they always cased? I have it next to a green cased one with sticker and it is the perfect match. thanks in adavnce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand