No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Orchid - but which one?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Caithness Orchid - but which one?
« on: August 27, 2010, 01:14:37 PM »
I just received this which I bought a few weeks ago.  The seller said it was a William Manson design issued 1996.

There are several orchid designs on the Scotlands glass website but none with photographs. There are two limited editions of 150 listed - Orchid - Style 3
1991, Alan Scott,  and Orchid Style 1 1996 William Manson. I have googled too but cannot find any photos of this weight. I'd like to be sure which I have. Does anyone know for sure which this is? I bought it from the UK so think it probably is the William Manson one. There is a letter cane at the base of the stalk, but even with a loupe I cannot make out what it says - looks like 3 letters or numbers, or the centre one could possibly be a small bubble. If anyone can tell me what is says I'd appreciate it!
regards
it measures 5 1/2 cm wide (2 1/4 inches) and 4 1/4 cm high (1 3/4 inches)

JAK, West Oz  :usd:

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Caithness Orchid - but which one?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 03:48:32 PM »
Your weight is the William Manson one, from 1996. The cane may be "cg 96" or perhaps "wm 96", but the info I have (Charlton Catalogue) does not mention a signature cane.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 05:40:04 PM »
Yes - this is the 1996 Orchid by William Manson, and
Yes - the 1996 catalogue is not (yet) online.
Other orchids (or with orchid in the name) are online WITH images, however, the only one with a "no image" signature I could find is "Orchid Style Three", Allan Scott of 1991: this was a commissioned weight for the Arts Institute of Chicago, and like all commissioned weights it doesn't show up in Caithness catalogues - neither have I seen one in an auction so far (to ask for permission to use the image for the catalogue).

Talking of permission to use images for the catalogue: as you have offered other images previously - may I assume your permission for the images in this thread as well ;D ?

I would be nice to have a clearer image of the cane. At the moment I can only guess it is a wm cane plus a bubble, as I have never seen a cane with 3 characters. There were wm canes plus two digits (for the year, I have examples for 80 and 81) - but they would be wm over nn (two digits) - could not be mistaken for three characters in a row.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 12:57:29 AM »
Thanks Kev and Wolf, nice to know.

Certainly you may use the photos Wolf, I will try and get a better one of the cane and will send it. - I was looking for it to be WM but still couldn't make that out - will look some more.
regards

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 02:58:34 AM »
If the signature cane is in a difficult spot to photograph you might try the water method suggested in ' http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,35346.msg191541.html#msg191541 ' it worked well in removing distortion.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand