No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help identifying Orrefors bowl  (Read 7294 times)

Offline JohnPeller

• Members
Help identifying Orrefors bowl
« on: August 27, 2010, 02:16:39 PM »
I'd appreciate help identifying this Orrefors bowl.  It's 8 1/4" wide and 5" tall.  It's in perfect condition, except that the bottom is badly scratched so I can't read the markings.  All I can read is "orrefors" and maybe (maybe!) 1?6/1?1, but I'm not even to sure about any of that.  It's from my parents, possibly from the 1970s or 1980s (maybe earlier).  Thanks for your help! John Peller, Chicago IL USA

http://picasaweb.google.com/jpeller72/OrreforsBowl?authkey=Gv1sRgCJm29-DSloijlQE#

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Help identifying Orrefors bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 02:45:26 PM »
Hi and welcome to the gmb. A photograph of the base and markings would help a great deal.
The best way to try to capture markings is to dust them with talcum powder, then rub your finger lightly over them - the talc will stay in the grooves. Take the picture on the closest close-up setting your camera will do, against a dark background.
I'm sure your mystery will be solved. :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline wayan

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 06:25:38 PM »
I cannot help with the ID but thanks to Sue for the tip re photographing or indeed reading signatures.
I too am struggling with an Orrefors piece which now reads PU 2597 with the aid of talc.

Many thanks

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 03:07:22 AM »
Maybe a shallower angle with reflected base will give a clearer result.  When the photo is as straight on as yours you get colours and refraction to confuse.

It also may help if you put the weight onto a dark background and take the signature normally - it will show up white compared to the darker background.

Finally a method I use if the base is mnote smooth is to light rub a pencill over the marks.  The signature should show up lighter than the surrounding base

I have attached three signatures from Australian paperweights -

Chris Pantano - impossible to photograph straight on due to the included dichroic material
Chris Pantano - darker background
Mat Quicke - showing how the pencil works

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 03:10:21 AM »
Oops! forgot TAB does not work normally here are the three photos I intended to attach>

Ross

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 09:28:54 PM »
Orrefors P xxxxxx

Palmqvist

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 12:15:32 AM »
Looking at your talcum powder pictures I am uncertain whether it is a P = Sven Palmquist or an A = Olle Alberius.  Perhaps you can decide better than we can.

Ross

PS.    By the way Wayan the PU **** = Sven (P)almquist[the designer] + (U)ncut, smooth glass - followed by the design number.

Offline wayan

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 04:35:38 PM »
Thanks Ross for the additional info - does the number help to date a piece or is it a design number?
If a design number, is there info as to how long designs were in production?

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 12:46:23 AM »
Wayan as far as I know it is purely a design number - but somewhere that number was allocated and a reference presumably kept as to when that occurred.  There are members of the GMB who are able to give dates - I, personally, have yet to buy a reference or come across a site that allows me that information.  I would try sending an email direct to Orrefors - who knows they may be able to tell you.  If you do find a way to date Orrefors I would appreciate you passing it on.

Ross

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand