No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help identifying Orrefors bowl  (Read 7291 times)

Offline JohnPeller

• Members
Re: Help identifying Orrefors bowl
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 01:21:24 AM »
I took some more pictures today, but I'm not sure they will be that helpful.  Tried the oblique angle and the pencil, but it didn't produce much.  thanks for the suggestions, Ross. 

however, I do think it's a "P" not an "A".  I also think there's a six in there. 

Is it possible that the design number has a slash ("/") in it?  It could be x6/1xx

Some progress, perhaps.  Thank you!

http://picasaweb.google.com/jpeller72/OrreforsBowl?authkey=Gv1sRgCJm29-DSloijlQE#5511005013808596514

http://picasaweb.google.com/jpeller72/OrreforsBowl?authkey=Gv1sRgCJm29-DSloijlQE#5510954192589706642

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 01:44:41 AM »
Using your talc photos I would have a punt at 4046/121 for the numbers.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 07:45:10 AM »
My friends I have already written Palmqvist. No further investigations are needed.

The product number always consists of two parts  xxxxx / xxxx  , first part is the model/design number, second part indicates what it is. Ie a bowl, vase, or so....

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 08:48:07 AM »
Ross, there's a comprehensive list of what the marks are in Ivo Haanstra's (Ivo here  :clap: ) wonderful little book, "Glass Fact File a-z". A fabulous little book, crammed with info., no self-respecting glass collector should be without. ISBN 1-84000-429-0
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline JohnPeller

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 12:23:25 PM »
Thank you all so much for your help!  I look forward to hearing what the master himself has to say!

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 12:38:53 PM »
I'm 100% sure it's designed by Palmqvist. I have seen it many times here in Sweden and I think I have another version in stock.

I think this was designed during the 50's.

Offline JohnPeller

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 01:35:12 AM »
I did what I should have done in the first place - emailed Orrefors.  They were very kind and immediately identified the piece.  Ross, you were right about the number!  I'm curious to learn when it was produced, and what the name of the series was (I asked, and I'll let you know what I hear). 

Good lesson for a newbie - ask the company first!  Thanks for your help, everyone, John

"Dear John.

Your vase was in a catalog from 1972 and the designer was Sven Palmqvist.  The article number is 4046 and it was eight different vases and bowls.
Your size  have the article number 4046-121.

Sincerely Yours

Lena and Kia"

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 06:36:49 AM »
that's what i told you from the beginning.
But it might be earlier than 72 since he quit working there 1971. It could ofcourse be an older design that eariler was rejected. But looking at the engraving technique i would say it's earlier.

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 04:07:54 PM »
Sorry Daniel

But in an earlier posting you mentioned having contaced Palmqvist, and since he has been dead since 1984, what powers do you have?

Having spent many days at Orrefors and in the late 1980's and been by his house a thousand times while visiting Olle
Alberius, I never saw one of the great inovators of glass techniques.

Best
Bill Geary

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 05:11:16 PM »
Daniel said "written Palmqvist", not written to Palmqvist, meaning he'd already given John the answer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand