No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kosta Boda strange upside down chromed bowl  (Read 2127 times)

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
Kosta Boda strange upside down chromed bowl
« on: August 27, 2010, 04:05:12 PM »
I have never seen one of these before, I am sure they are around but wondered if someone could enlighten me. It is obviosuly meant to sit as it is in my photo but cannot think of a use it may have, other than being "what it is".

It is hand painted and hand removed to create the pattern, in the underside concave it is chromed/mirrored. It is etched "Kosta Boda" "M. Backstrom" and the number 54999 or 59999 (or similar). To the base edge it has "MB." and what looks like "DV" (see image 3). It measures, approx 6 inches tall and 7.5 inches across.

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Kosta Boda strange upside down chromed bowl
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 02:45:09 AM »
First impression was that this was by Ulrica Hydman-Vallien another Kosta Boda designer.  Maybe the second part of the signature refers to her, but in all the pieces I have seen her UHV has been very clear.  Those painted designs are a feature of her work.  So my second guess is that it refers to the artist who did the actual painting.

The numbering would appear to date it before 1986 - the year "The Kosta Boda Book of Glass" was published.  

If I were you I would send a request to Kosta Boda(USA) at 'info[AT]okbusa.com' (Mod: change [AT] to @ to make email address work) who have been most helpful in identifying two fairly recent purchases that my three books or the net were not giving anawers to.

As to what it does ??????????????????????????

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 03:04:36 AM »
Hi;

The designer is Monica Backstrom, a long time Kosta  designer who was married to Eric Höglund. This piece is fairly typical of her work. This is a spherical bowl from the 'Taiga' line. The beginning "5" indicates it's a bowl. It started production in 1999, and the number should read 59942, unless it's a later addition to the line. I don't know about the 'DV" but it could be the initials of the painter.

Nice piece by a good designer.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 06:20:11 AM »
You're right, the second initials are those of the painter. This is a so-called witch's bowl; when you look into it, the reflection is distorted. In other words, turn it upside-down so you can see into it. ;)
It isn't meant to do anything, just be pretty. ;D

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 05:07:42 PM »
Thanks to all for the info  :hiclp:

I have also had a reply from Kosta Boda themselves with an email address of a lady they think could possibly give me the full run down on the piece. I will of course report back anything to add to the information already given.

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 09:26:53 PM »
the bowl should have the round side facing down.

This came with a similar series called Tonga. Brown/black/yellow instead of Blue/white.

Let me know what you want to know.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand