No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Harlequin and Overlay ID  (Read 1392 times)

Offline pandelune

• Members
Harlequin and Overlay ID
« on: August 28, 2010, 10:19:50 AM »
Could you please help to ID these two weights?

Both are for sale at a locale antiques shop (but not the same shop).

For the Harlequin, I have no idea.

For the overlay, I'd say Murano.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Harlequin and Overlay ID
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 06:32:08 PM »

Hi.

The overlay is definitely Murano. These do turn up from time to time (on eBay and elsewhere) with a poor quality 'Baccarat' logo etched on the base, by person or persons unknown.

The harlequin design first appears in the 19thC, in Bohemia / Alsace /Belgium. I suspect that Salvador Ysart (and Paul) saw examples when they were in the Paris area, before they moved to Scotland. Likewise with "Ysart" sulphides, and fountains / spiders.  It is hard to say where your harlequin weight might be from, without seeing a close-up of the canes, and the base - but there are far more from Northern Europe than from Scotland. Sadly, there is a tendency for weights that look not quite right for Ysart, but actually come from Belgium / Alsace, to be labelled ' Rare or unique Ysart' by their proud - but deluded - owners. No names, no pack drill....

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Re: Harlequin and Overlay ID
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 06:20:55 PM »
The harlequin is interesting, better pics required i think!

what is the price? and whats the sellers attribution??

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand