No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars - Yes - but what is it.  (Read 4615 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Whitefriars - Yes - but what is it.
« on: December 13, 2005, 03:01:50 PM »
Hi Folks,
A recent boot sale find, has a Whitefriars sticker but is it a tumbler or Vase please:?  http://tinypic.com/ilbyh0.jpg>
Thanks.
Bryn (not Brian)

Mod: The images from this post have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 03:12:49 PM »
It's a vase. Pattern 9392, in Arctic Blue.  :)

vidfletch

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 04:42:28 PM »
Bryn, Some more information for you.

This vase was introduced in the 1954 catalogue. It was probably designed by James Hogan.

Yours can be dated to between 1960 and 1963. Arctic Blue was launched in 1960 but your label was only used up to 1963 at the latest. The label changed after to that to one with a more stylised monk.

It was made in Arctic Blue up to 1970 and 9392 last appeared in a catalogue in 1971.

It's not very common but not worth a great deal. Quite an important little vase though in historic terms. A good find!

Cheers.

Vidfletch :D

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Whitefriars - but what is it.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 04:48:41 PM »
Thanks both. Very good info. Another 50p well spent :!:  Nice one. :D
Bryn(not Brian)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 04:51:26 PM »
50p?  :shock:

Which carboots do you go to?  :lol:

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 05:23:25 PM »
Hi,
This came from Bessemer Road in Cardiff last Sunday morning, my third Whitefriars of the Year. I had a Mid size tangerine bark for £2 in Sully boot sale (brilliant boot sale) in the summer, and a tangerine coffin vase for £1, in the late summer again in Bessemer road. That one was at 11.00am, the boot sale starts at 8.00am. The vase was full of pebbles, the lady said she would reduce the price if I didn't wan't the pebbles!! however I did decline the offer as I do have a little bit of a conscience :oops:  
I love boot sales :!:  :!:  :)
Bryn (not Brian)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 05:29:11 PM »
Conscience..... I vaguelly recall having one of those, but it didn't suit me!  :twisted:

An amazing array of bargains, though. I've only ever spotted one good piece of Whitefriars at a 'boot, and that was a WF duck. It still set me back a bank-breaking £3.50, though!  :lol:

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 06:51:37 PM »
They are out there!!! Can't wait for those huge summer Boots.

Back to the excellent info I received from Vidfletch earlier. I have done a little more research and discovered with the aid of a friend's Leslie Jackson book thet Geoffrey Baxter designed very similar artic blue vases between 1954/57.
On plate 144 in that book shows a taller vase with a very similar lobed base pattern 9494 in artic blue.
Just an observation.
Bryn (not Brian)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 07:01:53 PM »
The lobed vase seems to be quite prevalent in Whitefriars glass. A lot of it does seem very 'variations on a theme' though.

And I can't wait for the 'boot season to kick start again... winter is such a barren period, usually, for lots of bargains.

vidfletch

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 07:04:22 PM »
Geoffrey Baxter arrived at Whitefriars in 1954. Virtually all his work first appears in the 1957 catalogue. It would have been on sale before, no doubt.

Pattern 9392 was launched in 1954 with similar vases that were definitely designed by James Hogan. It is no surprise that Baxter had similar lobed base pieces as well. They were sort of the "in thing" at the time. It is actually more exciting that it is a James Hogan vase. Hogan is just as important to the story and development of Whitefriars as Baxter was but in different ways.

Vidfletch :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand