No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: confirmation for genuine 'VASART' signature.  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
confirmation for genuine 'VASART' signature.
« on: August 29, 2010, 03:22:34 PM »
Not sure what this should be described as - bon bon dish - peanut dish - dish for sweets - large pin tray.   Certainly not what I had expected a 'Vasart' piece to look like.    8 inches/200mm long - in leaf form - with this 'pimpled underside texture.     There is some wear on the three feet - also couple of very small areas on the top side showing abrasion - but nothing serious.    I am thinking the signature is 'dremelled' (i.e. a vibratory needlepoint) - but I could be wrong.     Would appreciate anyone's thoughts please on age and whether the signature is genuine.    thanks for looking.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: confirmation for genuine 'VASART' signature.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 04:15:44 PM »
I think that's something like Arcoroc. Vasart was hand blown art glass... and paperweights.. and squashed bottles... and advertising glass ware.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 04:30:52 PM »
And pale pastel colours (mostly). Definitely a fake mark, simply on the grounds that this is absolutely not Vasart glass.

Several different folk actually made the Vasart mark at the time though they tried to write it in similar ways, mostly. The base of the V tends to be U-shaped, there are little curls on it's ends. It was acid etched, often with the acid being painted on using a thick-ish appliacator. Not all neat and tidy, dremmelled like this!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 08:40:28 PM »
Ohhhhh interesting. Could you add a copy of this to our Known Fake Marks & Signatures album please Paul?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 09:10:48 PM »
Will do, Anne. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 08:28:05 PM »
Anne - sorry, you know that I'm computer illiterate......is it possible for you to add my picture to the fake signature section?    I did have a look, but couldn't quite see where to start. :-[    If it's not possible for you to do, explain to me a little slowly, and I will try  -  many thanks Paul S. 

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 08:46:26 PM »
I can do Paul, or if you're feeling brave and want to try following my step by step walkthrough I bet you'd manage it yourself: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery_help.html - as it's a public album you would just need to register if you've not already done so, then jump to step three - uploading an image. Shout if you get stuck or would just prefer me to do it for you. ;)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 12:26:08 PM »
Attached is the base shot of a small dish I believe to be genuine Vasart.  It illustrates very well Chopin-Liszt's point about the thick marking.  I took it under flash using the talc method to highlight the rough glass.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 01:01:39 PM »
Nice example, Ross.  :thup:
My only bit is even more smudged, hard to see correctly before trying to photograph it. Being on a yellow background doesn't help.

I'm sure I heard that the acid was "painted on" with a matchstick - but I fail to see how the acid wouldn't burn it to cinders, so I'm kind of dismissing that notion, unless somebody can correct me, and tell me the sort of acid which dissolves glass doesn't burn wood.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 02:42:42 PM »
That sounds entirely possible if they used Hydrofluoric acid - a relative of spirits of salts (Hydrochloric acid) - that etches glass.  The only danger would be fumes.  The match is dead wood and very little water remains so it would not necessarily burn.  As opposed to strong sulphuric acid that actually breaks apart the lignin to rip out the "elements of water" and effectively just leaves the carbon.

Ross
(ex Science Teacher)
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand