No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Peace & Plenty jug on eBay - any ideas?  (Read 7990 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Peace & Plenty jug on eBay - any ideas?
« on: August 29, 2010, 09:44:49 PM »
Hi folks,

I noticed this piece on eBay today.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRESSED-GLASS-COMMEMORATIVE-PEACE-AND-PLENTY-JUG-/170533985893?pt=UK_Art_Glass

The owner thinks it is 20th century commemorative, but I have the suspicion with the "peace & plenty" on it, and what look like ears of corn, it could be a Corn Law commemorative, possibly quite early, circa 1850.

There are several of these "Peace & Plenty" glass pieces out there. Has anyone got a firm idea on the maker for any of them, or a thought on the date?

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: Peace & Plenty jug on eBay - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:40:02 AM »
Wasn't pressed glass in the UK introduced after 1850? I thought it was something like 1860-70, but could be mistaken. The dimpled effect for the lettering is also seen from Victorian times right up to the 1930s, so a wide date range to aim at.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 10:56:31 AM »
I believe pressed glass in the UK started in Birmingham in 1831 with the Rice Harris works. I have read a 19th century article which states that pressed glass production probably migrated to the northeast in 1835. The books are silent on my main interest, Manchester glass, but I think the Manchester factories were also producing pressed glass in the 1830s. I have written proof that Molineaux & Webb were making pressed glass in 1843, and pattern designs which I believe go back to 1837 or earlier. I also have a piece of pressed glass which I believe to date to circa 1840 and made by Molineaux Webb.

Early pressings are very rough and if you look at the eBay jug you can see the pattern of raised dots around the rim is very uneven, which led me to think that it is early.

"Peace & Plenty" was a rallying cry for the Anti Corn Law League in the 1840s. There is a pressed glass plate of Corn Law campaigner John Bright with the words "Peace & Plenty" on it. I have strong circumstantial evidence that this was made by Molineaux Webb and would maybe date to circa 1850. I was hoping therefore that this jug might be part of a Corn Law set if you like, but the style of the jug does not look like Manchester to me. More of a northeast style I would say. There's also a large "Peace & Plenty" plate.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 01:47:41 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up - on checking this would appear to be the case, so earlier than I first thought. I was probably thinking of  when a certain manufacturer started pressing glass!

BTW, there are a few pages relating to Manchester glasshouses in Francis Buckley's Old English Glass Houses, ISBN: 9780900682469, where Thomas Molineaux is mentioned. it is rather expensive but can be bought from the Science of Glass Technology (www.sgt.org) - good book but no index so a real PITA to find anything...

Direct Link
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 03:21:21 PM »
I have a copy of Old English Glass Houses. The section on Manchester is actually incorrect. It says Maginnis Molineaux & Co split up into Maginnis & Co, Thomas Molineaux and William Robinson, but Robinson was never part of Maginnis Molineaux & Co.

There was a short lived firm called Robinson, Perrin & Maginnis which split up and I believe led to William Robinson opening a glass works in Hulme.

I'm including a photo of my John Bright Peace & Plenty plate so this thread will still make a little sense once the eBay item has gone...

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 07:25:24 PM »
Neil, not sure if you're aware of it so I'll mention it for reference, that there's a Peace and Plenty plate shown in Jenny Thompson's book The Identification of English Pressed Glass (page 68, plate 35) which seems to have sheaves of corn and grapes in the pattern, plus a star base. Jenny says it's Greener, RD no. 115743 dated 14 Dec 1888. The photo's not too clear so I can't confirm it's a match with the eBay pattern but it may help a little, even if only to eliminate a maker. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 07:33:36 PM »
Found a mention of Peace and Plenty being a national catchphrase in the late 1880s as well here: http://www.swallowcliffehall.com/times1.html

Something else I noticed, and which may or may not be helpful, is that the jug has three rows of dots making up the letters. I have several plates with dotted letters and they all have either one row or two rows of dots. None has three rows... I can't make out how many rows there are on the aforementioned Greener P&P plate in Jenny Thompson, but the letters appear to be fairly thick.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 07:53:33 PM »
Thanks Anne,

Yes I see it in Thompson's book. I would be prepared to believe that the jug goes with the plate and they are northeast pieces. They look more that style.

As to my John Bright plate, it's the history of the Corn Laws that leads me to attribute that one to Molineaux and Webb. Both Thomas Molineaux and John Bright were founder members of the Anti Corn Law League when it started as just a few dozen people in Manchester in the late 1830s. Bright was a local MP and Molineaux was a Manchester councillor. Later on, Thomas Webb joined the campaign as well, and the pair of them supported Richard Cobden and John Bright by arranging functions, donating glassware etc.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
New to my collection this week and added for reference for this post a Henry Greener peace and plenty registered Jug RD 115743 clearly marked inside the base.

Roy

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 09:29:55 AM »
I should mention that I no longer believe the Peace and Plenty John Bright plate mentioned on this thread is by Molineaux Webb. The best guess, after reviewing this with some fellow researchers, is 1870s to 1880s northeast, though we have failed to identify a likely maker.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand