No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: caithness but not good quality????  (Read 1705 times)

Offline buttonfluff

• Members
caithness but not good quality????
« on: August 30, 2010, 09:49:04 AM »
I have a caithness mooncrystal pw with the usuall caithness scotland -mooncrystal on the base but the base is rippled like a cheap piece of glass and not polished also the pw is a bit wonky when rolled on a flat worktop,,,i thought it would have ciig on the bottom instead as its not caithness top quality --any ideas why??
xx ...Kerryn... xx

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: caithness but not good quality????
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »
I was in the Caithness shop on saturday, having a good look at the seconds - there was no mark on them indicating their being a second now. Perhaps they've stopped marking them at all.
My second of the "Edinburgh Rock" weight isn't marked. Neither is the base fully polished. But it came in a proper box.
(The piece is badly named. Edinburgh Rock is a sweetie, and the rock in Edinburgh is called Castle Rock.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline buttonfluff

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 06:18:16 PM »
Thats interesting thankyou,my paperweight is so badly made i cant believe caithness etched their name on it ,the CIIG weights ive seen look exellent compared to this but ill treasure it all the same .
xx ...Kerryn... xx

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 06:23:11 PM »
I don't think the seconds have Caithness etched on them either - they're completely unmarked.

What exactly is wrong with it?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline buttonfluff

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 07:27:19 PM »
This has caithness mooncrystal  scotland etched on base but the base has been left unpolished and has a ripple effect and a black ring on the base where a tool has been maybe ? and some foamy bubbles also on the base .Seems unfinished but etched .
xx ...Kerryn... xx

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 10:49:49 AM »
So it's only the base finish you're concerned about, not the quality of the way the design is executed? No unsightly swirls in the dome which spoil the appearance?
My Mesmerise was bought new, is not a second, and is etched Caithness and Mesmerise on the base, which has loads of rings from where it was put on the marver to flatten it, and a couple of tool marks.
These are not faults, they're part of the manufacturing process, the sort of thing which happens with individually hand made pieces.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 09:15:52 AM »
Here is the base of a pebble with ripples !  Cheers, Mike.
Mike

Offline buttonfluff

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 03:51:05 PM »
So some do have rippled bases then ,it has an air bubble that my other mooncrystal has not got and it dosent seem very evenly rounded but the base was my main issue why it wasnt polished ,deffinatly not the best made caithness paperweight ive seen thanks for your info i understand it all better now.
xx ...Kerryn... xx

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 05:20:38 PM »
Perhaps it was a second that slipped through by accident - an air bubble where it shouldn't be, I would have thought, would have been enough to get it put in the "second" category?
Whatever, it's marked as a first, and if you love it, don't worry about it, just enjoy it!

I did buy myself a Caithness weight recently (charity shop, £5) marked as a second - the whole pattern of colours and bubbles is completely squint inside it, but I rather like it like that. (no idea what it's called)
Shame I let Michael carry it for me after I found it, it now sports a big bruise it didn't have in the shop!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand