No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flared Golden Amber Can (Mug) - ID = Whitefriars 9036  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Flared Golden Amber Can (Mug) - ID = Whitefriars 9036
« on: August 31, 2010, 02:53:37 AM »

Click image for GlassGallery enlargement / view of base

H. 5" 12.8cm, rim d. 4¼" 10.7cm, cap. ½ litre 17½ fl.oz 7/8 pint.

Possibly a mistake by yours truly.   It looks English to me, and that flat-topped handle is almost identical to that on a 1930s Tudor jug I have.   However, its capacity is exactly ½ litre — not a British size.   I suppose in future I shall have to take a bucket of water and a measuring jug with me when I go out buying!  :spls:  ;D

Anyway, enlightenment sought please.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Flared Golden Amber Can (Mug) for Id please
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 05:26:34 AM »
100% Whitefriars Bernard it also comes in clear and blue its in the book i have a couple .  p9036 1940 often engraved with initials and possibly some with a Spitfire .jp   ps Blue is not in the book but i do have one in blue

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 06:48:50 AM »
http://whitefriars.com/catalogues/contents.php?id=147

A link to the page in the 1957 catalogue if it helps.
Chris

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 07:46:35 AM »
jp & Chris — Grateful thanks for your speedy replies, and for the good news.   I don't try to get it wrong, it just comes naturally.   At least not this time.   I'm sure I looked at that page (Evans p.318), jp, but possibly the engraved initials shown put me off.   I wonder if I will ever find one with an engraved Spitfire — that's something so tempting I might keep it for a while.   I was looking at engraved Spitfires only a few weeks ago;  those by Whistler in Moreton Church.   The price in that catalogue page is amazing.    It works out at 5/6 per mug, and that's wholesale, so it must have been at least 7/11 retail.   That was a lot of money in 1940.

Chris — It's a much better likeness than the 1940 drawing.   I've taken the opportunity for a browse around the WFdotcom catalogues.   9036 was launched in the 1938 catalogue and appears regularly up to 1957.   Apparently it was designed by William Wilson.

Thanks again to both of you,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand