No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut champagne glasses - ID = Tudor of Stourbridge  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Ming

• Members
Re: Stevens & Williams or Webb ?
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 03:47:31 PM »
Thomas
Sorry to tell you your wine glasses are not Webb or Steven . They were made by Tudor of Stourbridge. Tudor was a smaller firm than Webb and the man at the intaglio dept was Jack Lloyd.  
Here is my Tudor wine glass just compare with yours. Same pattern except foot pattern. My has the mark " Tudor Made in England " on the base.
Jack Lloyd produced some excellent intalgio glass. This wine glass is not top quality for him and produced after the war.

My best piece of Jack Lloyd glass was post a few months ago. Just search J. Lloyd in the Glass section
and see the photos.
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline claretjugcollector

• Members
  • The spoilt rotten Claret Jug Collector ...
    • www.karaffensammler.at
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 04:00:07 PM »
Hi Ming !

great info anyway - i am very happy with this information - i think i will put them on ebay - they are too big for and i prefer wine than champagne !
many thx again , Thomas
...Man made electric light to take us out of the dark
Man made the boat for the water, like Noah made the ark
.... James B.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 04:08:21 PM »
Hi Ming  ,very underrated Tudor so often bought for reasonable price , didnt several of their workers come from other firms like Webb or S&W ? jp

Offline Ming

• Members
Re: Cut champagne glasses - ID = Tudor of Stourbridge
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 12:21:16 PM »
JP
For the engrave and intaglio dept at Tudor where was only one name- Jack Lloyd. He was trained at S&W in the late 20thc and later went to became the head of intaglio dept at Webb but only for two years. Left to work for Tudor as head of Intaglio dept for the rest of his life.
He produced the best work before the war and after his retirement his old clients at Tudor still only purchase his work.
The company has no choice(Tudor is relatively small) but to ask him to return. John Sanders(the expert) said one of the director had to pick Jack up from his house in the morning and took him home for lunch and returned to factory later  and took him home again after work. He worked until 92/93 years old and died very soon after(possible due to overwork my opinion)
He did signed most of his work on the bowl and pre-war work had  the word Tudor without Made in England on the base.

Here is one of my J. Lloyd glass. Three different designs on one glass.
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 01:34:56 PM »
Thanks Ming , i love your glass and now i know a bit more about Tudor . :thup:

Offline claretjugcollector

• Members
  • The spoilt rotten Claret Jug Collector ...
    • www.karaffensammler.at
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 01:36:05 PM »
i like them too and they were not very expensive ;-)
...Man made electric light to take us out of the dark
Man made the boat for the water, like Noah made the ark
.... James B.

Offline Gowdod

• Members
Re: Cut champagne glasses - ID = Tudor of Stourbridge - J lloyd Mug
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 07:42:14 AM »
One to add to the picture collection.

It is signed J Lloyd but cannot find any Tudor mark. Does feel post war but what do I know!

Picture of signature too

Yours  Andrew

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand