No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Burtles & Tate reg 29106 - flower boat variations  (Read 7260 times)

Offline JJ

• Members
Re: Burtles & Tate reg 29106 - flower boat variations
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 12:23:55 AM »
Good Morning All,

I am the owner of the Burtles & Tate 29106 Triangle Thingy. I purchased it at a local Antique show in August and  I was still researching my bowl? when I came across this site.  I originally contacted the Molineaux & Webb site and sent Neil the Photo posted here and he very kindly sent me a copy of the patent.  The only thing I believe is as other members here pointed out, is that once the pattern of acorns and leaves was registered along with the shape is that the pattern could be used on other articles.
( I have a bowl with the no. 92571 registered to J Stembridge & Co  1888 and have found the glass pattern on a number of different articles all bearing the same registered number.)  I have found a number of  29106 boats for sale and mentioned in sites but nothing on the triangle,  I would assume there would have been at least a few made and survived. Thank you all for interest and look forward to any other information received I am glad I have found this site and such knowledgable members.
Janelle
JJ

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 07:30:28 PM »
neil - may I ask if, when at Kew, you have looked at more than just the picture file for 29106.   I ask as I believe there is some additional text information available in a separate file (for which I have the ref.) -  and I didn't want to go to the Archives for a morning if you had already looked and drawn a blank.
There appear to be three files......one is simply the original Reg. No. entry I saw yesterday, second will be the file for pictures only..........and thirdly I am informed there is another file with written information.
Not much point in going back I guess if you have seen all of these. :)

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 09:11:09 PM »
Hi Paul,
I have only viewed the images in the large pattern books. I did not consult any of the written info (indexes?) available at Kew. I used the lists in Slack / Thompson books to find the items. I did come across one or two which were not in Jenny Thompson's book, so I am guessing she must have gone through the lists first and missed a couple in the pattern books, whether through errors in the index or human error, who can say.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 09:34:54 PM »
thanks neil - I will in that case have one more try when the map room re-opens, and if I do discover additional information will advise. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 08:30:43 PM »
did get back to Kew, but unfortunately not a great deal wiser in terms of resolving the triangular flower.   Two further archival volumes give the following:

1...........(No image - text only)
'No. 29106 -   class  4
Burtles Tate and Company    -    Poland Street   -    Oldham Road   -    Manchester.
Flint Glass Manufacturers
Nature of Design:      Pattern of Flower Boat
date:   29.6.1885'

2...........(image and text)
'29106          Design for Flower Boat
Redistered by Burtles Tate & Company   -    Poland Street   -   Oldham Road   -   Manchester.
image is of the flower boat'     (although not in glass, I feel).

So   -   one entry says 'Pattern of Flower Boat', and the other, as neil has already commented, says, -  'Design for Flower Boat'.     I would hazard a guess, therefore, that No. 29106 is registering the shape, since both entries use the word 'boat'.     This doesn't, of course, resolve the issue of how the No. is justifiably used on the triangular bowl, and what for me was frustrating, was the fact the during this most recent visit I was unable to find any indication of a means of cross reference from the boat to the triangular bowl.    End of the story for me I think. :)

Offline JJ

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 07:11:16 AM »
Thank you Paul for taking the time to check out Burtles & Tate 29106 Boat Flower Vase - Triangle and to all who helped.
I guess it will have to remain a mystery. Hopefully someday the Vaseline one will show up somewhere.

. PS I tried some flowers in it, but not really successful ,they would have to be really small and certainly not much room for many, so it will stay just a lovely piece of glass to enjoy and wonder about.
JJ
JJ

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 11:44:54 AM »
I think one of the fashions for flower arrangements from Victorian times through to the 1950s was to use very small flowers like violets and primroses or larger flower heads all with very short stems in a closepack arrangement.

Offline tlfoozer

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 10:30:54 PM »
I'm new to this board and recently became aware of a posting by JJ hoping to see a Burtles, Tate & Co. Vaseline triangle.  I have this piece in Vaseline and cropped it from a larger photo.  Hope it's not too late to reply to older posts?

Offline JJ

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 12:06:46 AM »
Hello tlfoozer,
 thank you for posting a photo of your triangle.  Nice to know mine is not alone. Since posting this originally, I have not found another triangle except yours, but I have found a small 1/2 curve flower trough, and a long straight flower trough, all in Vaseline glass and marked with the 29106 registered number.  I suppose since B&T registered the design of the flower boat they also registered the pattern on it and used it on other things.  I still wonder why so little of the other designs show up.
The only difference in all the other pieces, including yours are they are in Vaseline glass with the yellow tinge whereas mine is clear to white type of opalescence.  More like you see in the B&T shoes.  I have saved photos of the other troughs and wonder if any more shapes will turn up.  Hope you enjoy yours like I do mine.
JJ

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 06:33:29 AM »
Hi Tom

Welcome to the GMB
Roy ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum