No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Suggestions Please Nice looking paperweight Unidentifed Age & Origin  (Read 1634 times)

Offline RobS

• Members
Hello everyone, I just acquired a paperweight, it looks good but unfortunately I can't determine the origin, it has a slight bit of wear with a flat ground bottom. I don't know if it's American, Italian or ?? So many newer copies and Chinese out there, and not being a paperweight person I don't know the difference so any insight pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Suggestions Please Nice looking paperweight Unidentifed Age & Origin
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:34:42 PM »
Hi

My feeling is Italian, particularly in view of the shape, but I would not be 100% certain.

Regarding the Chinese option, IMHO there may not be much to choose quite often between a Chinese and a Murano pedigree, given that Chinese weights have been sold in large numbers over the years in Murano....they are not necessarily in different leagues. Run of the mill weights are run of the mill, whoever makes them! To me, Murano does not necessarily imply quality: they do make / have made many reasonable quality paperweights, but....sadly.....

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 10:12:39 PM »
Hello, RobS, :hi:

I agree with Alan that your paperweight is Murano, and would put the age estimate at 1960's to 1970's.  My first thought is that the fruit depicts figs which are very Italian.  They sit on a ground of nicely-done latticinio, which is also seen in Murano weights from this time period.  The profile and flat polished base are hallmarks of Murano weights as well.  IMHO, you have a nice example there!

Lily :)   

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 05:02:30 PM »
What a lovely paperweight !

I for one am a huge fan of Murano paperweights as well as antique French ones and most others. I agree with Alan that quality can be lacking in Murano weights but though my eyes there is a great deal of artistic expression within the design of Murano canes which has developed over time . For me it is the difference between a perfectly manicured garden and a wild one !

Cheers, Mike. 
Mike

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 06:12:53 PM »
Hi Robs,

Welcome to the Board, RobS!

For once I disagree with Alan  >:D. I really like a nice Murano weight.

They often have cheerful colours and use aventurine so freely that it is a pleasure to behold (like a magpie, I am attracted by everything that shines). They brighten any cloudy day (And boy! do we need this today... )

Even the best ones are quite cheap still. No real downside then...

Indeed, this example is neat and sweet. I, for one, would be very happy to find space for it on my shelves.

SophieB

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 09:29:07 PM »

Did I say I do not like Murano weights, Sophie ?? We have at least 4 weights from Venice in our collection ( 3 by that Bigaglia guy...). However, we do have a nice (honestly!) interlocked millefiori garland on muslin weight too, from Murano, and it is dated 1845....! Oh, and several unusual 1950s ones that are for sale....

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand