No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Decorative Glass Duck with Bloch for Leerdam mark but is it? ID = Leerdam  (Read 9021 times)

Offline liz123

• Members
Re: Decorative Glass Duck with Bloch for Leerdam mark but is it?
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 10:06:56 PM »
Thank you Anne  :angel:-

I appreciate it  -

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Decorative Glass Duck info needed
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 08:22:30 AM »
    Now where is he when you need him!!!lol

Spain, actually.  :phew:

Offline liz123

• Members
Re: Decorative Glass Duck info needed
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2010, 08:30:17 AM »
Spain, actually.  :phew:

Hi Ivo,

It seems like it might be a bit hot in Spain.  :sun:

If you have any information about Leerdam I would love to know more
about it -

maybe when you finish your holiday.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 03:03:49 PM »
 :hi: yes very hot here. Looks like your ducky is legit and I would think there is sufficient info out there without my intervention.
I am no source for detailed info on the designs of ms. Bloch. I find them pretentious, overrated and overpriced.  But that is only opinion....

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 09:17:11 PM »
Enjoy your holiday, Ivo, this one is well documented enough to be handled by a Leerdam novice like myself :)

Picked up my Leerdam book to insert some details, and though I'm not a collector, I know her work. An ex-boyfriend actually went on an excursion to Leerdam in the early eighties and bought me her elephant as a souvenir (see picture). Must have been some sale clearance, since her work according to the book hasn't been produced anymore after the late seventies.

According to the book, Lucienne Bloch's early designs were made both in satinated and in clear glass. This duck is one of her earliest designs for Leerdam, it was in designed in 1929, but produced until at least the early fifties, also with monogram (if I interpret the book text correctly).

She designed in this style at least 7 animal figures for Leerdam (two ducks, a lioness, a crocodile, a dog, a deer and a fish), a nude female figurine and a set of book supports with female figures. And she did 3 types of car masquottes, an angel, a bird and a symbol with two fishes that were only produced for a short time. All designs were made between 1929 and 1951.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline liz123

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 11:28:02 PM »
:hi: yes very hot here. Looks like your ducky is legit and I would think there is sufficient info out there without my intervention.
I am no source for detailed info on the designs of ms. Bloch. I find them pretentious, overrated and overpriced.  But that is only opinion....

Thank you very much Ivo and Astrid,

I really appreciate what you have told me - as a novice collector I have no idea about
this piece. I have had this duck for a couple of decades and it did not really inspire me to start collecting glass. I can understand what
you mean Ivo - there seems to be some sort of hype surrounding Bloch.

The Bloch elephant, that you mentioned Astrid, is really cute but the duck is not really beautiful.

A TV programme about Millersburg Carnival Glass and the type of glass that shines in the dark first gave me the
idea of collecting glass. I really like decorative glass.

Thank you both again, Liz

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 01:34:59 PM »
Hello Liz123...... :hi:

I am a Bloch addict, and have just seen this thread....I know you have definative answers,  but just wanted to say....if you decide to sell,  please let me know....a loving home would await!!

For the record,  I have 3 of this size duck, 2 ducklings, 2 dachshunds a Leaping Hare car mascot and 3 elephants.  I am still trying for the deer  and any clear pieces, as mine are all frosted glass.

rosieposie. ;D
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 05:28:22 PM »
Well, there are always Bloch pieces for sale on www.marktplaats.nl, the Dutch auction site (though you'd have to check with sellers if they are willing to ship internationally). Currently I see 2 clear ducks, 1 satinated duck, 2 satinated deers, and the nude figurine.

The prices they demand however are very steep. The figurine is the most expensive one, bidding today is already at 750 euro. One deer requires a minimum bid of 300 euro, the other got stuck currently at 125 (but that bid was apparently not accepted). The bigger clear duck already has a bid of 150. If you get any of these under 200, you'd be doing well...

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 06:20:35 PM »
you should also be aware that Marktplaats is subject to manipulation - a bid may not be genuine but reflect the seller's ideal - a decoy bid. It is not likely that anyone would be willing to fork out hundreds of euros for a kitschy knicknack which has been in production for over 50 years....

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 06:52:49 PM »
In lots of ways,  you are right Ivo.....they are after all pressed glass, or molded,  but I just like the simplicity of the designs. 
My first piece was a great disappointment......I started to collect glass ducks,  and this was for sale,  pictured on a carpet and listed as Glass Duck.  No attribution and no provenance.  I knew nothing much about glass except that i loved Art Deco and Ducks, and this seemed to embrace the two!!

When it arrived,  I was disappointed....it was yellowed and although totally unblemished, just looked tired!!  I left it soaking in washing up liquid but to no avail,  so to the back of the display cabinet it went!!
Then another came up for sale with the provenance of Leerdam, Lucienne Bloch and a start price of £20.00  I had paid £1.99 for mine,  so I watched the bidding and was shocked to see it went over £50!!

Then I researched more, and found that they were sought after,  so looked for other pieces.  I found an Elephant,  then a duckling.

Then,  someone was selling Two Old Glass Orniments (sic).
There was a picture of two little pieces on a kitchen table on a patterned cloth.  I knew what they were, and placed a bid.  Start price was 99p.  No one else bid.  They were flawless, and I was floored!
I won't pay a lot for them, but I do like them, and am always on the lookout for more, so you see,  someone likes them!!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand