No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bull's Head mark - ID = Made in Taiwan  (Read 40048 times)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Identification
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 08:25:28 PM »
EUREKA.

Seen......a perfume bottle with the bull's head moulded mark (as shown in the messages above) plus a MADE IN TAIWAN label.

One little mystery solved.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline sricci01

• Members
Re: Bull's Head mark - ID = Made in Taiwan
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »
Hello,

This is my first post here but I also have a vanity set in pink satin glass with rose tops with the same mark on it.  Looks to be at least retro if not newer. 

I realize this tread is fairly old and probably a closed case in terms of ID but I just thought it was noteworthy that I found the bull's head/cow's head design of Erick Hoglund of Kosta Boda of Sweden to be the same as this mark.

I've also found Kosta Boda has made similar satin glass in pink and also vanity pieces but not these particular sets as indicated in this thread.   Most with Boda sticker or signature unfortunately and not this impressed glass mark.

Do you think the two are related? 

Here is a link to an item designed by him with the same bull's head:

http://www.stylehive.com/bookmark/retro-art-glass-erik-hoglund-for-boda-sweden-art-glass-bull-bowl-set-1179876 Mod: Link no longer goes to this piece

Maybe the sets were designed by Erick Hoglund for Kosta and made in Taiwan???

I've about exhausted myself out with this probably unnecessarily and was wondering if anyone else with better resources might be able to ascertain if there is anything to this.

Thank you.
Diana

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 03:46:22 PM »
Welcome to the board.

I think the Hogland bull's head is just a design and nothing to do with the mark being found on vanity sets. There are only so many ways to depict a bull's head. Unfortunately, little is known about glass produced in Taiwan or indeed many of the Far East countries.

I'm confused as to your meaning of retro; to me it means in the style of the past rather than indicating a specific time. 

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 05:55:05 PM »
Hi Diana, and welcome to the board. Would you like to add pics of your set and the mark (closeup) to add to the info we have already?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline sricci01

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 07:03:36 PM »
 :hi:, would love to but right now I'm having some camera issues.  Soon as I get it worked out.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 11:32:14 PM »
Super thanks, and do shout if you need a hand uploading pics to the board. :thup:

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 03:20:10 PM »
Found another of these today with the Bull base mark, a pretty little blue vase. Satin/opaque glass and clear mixed, quite deco inspired (aka - French style). I do not suppose anyone has found anything further about their maker?

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 08:15:15 PM »
Nope but there are a couple more bits on eBay currently - adding links as they show the styles and the logo on the base:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pink-Frosted-Swirled-Glass-Atomizer-Perfume-Bottle-pb132-Bull-Head-/311258924517
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PInk-Swirl-Satin-Decanter-w-Matching-Glass-and-Saucer-Bull-Head-Logo-on-Bottom-/221279298845

I used to have a frosted pink perfume bottle set with the same logo as those on eBay and like Pamela's years ago, mine was a freebie from French cosmetics firm Yves Rocher, so I always assumed it was cheap and cheerful Chinese-or-similar made. It was like this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/229701215/vintage-pink-frosted-perfume-bottle

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 08:25:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply Anne. I guess I will email Yves Rocher themselves and see if they know anything, worth a shot.

EDIT - Just emailed them  ;D

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 09:44:27 PM »
Fingers crossed you get a reply, William. I tried some time ago and didn't hear anything back, but it depends who is there to reply when we ask I guess?! :) 

One other thing I did find was that around the 1980s a French fashioner designer called Christian Lacroix designed a Taurus head pin brooch which looks awfully like the mark on the base of the glass... it's probably a red herring but may be worth a follow up, just in case there's a design connection? Here's one of the pins on sale:
http://www.rubylane.com/item/790730-IBFPIN2534/Vintage-auth-Runway-Christian-Lacroix78-Paris Mod: Dead link
The current CL website has no similar logo or mention of glass, but I know CL has done a lot of other design work apart from fashion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand