No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: onion bottle 1700 ..  (Read 3312 times)

Offline claretjugcollector

• Members
  • The spoilt rotten Claret Jug Collector ...
    • www.karaffensammler.at
onion bottle 1700 ..
« on: September 07, 2010, 08:43:02 PM »
i like those onion bottles from the 1700 s - but i can not understand why they are sometimes 5-6000 pounds and sometime on ebay for 2-300 pounds .. is the seal the only difference which makes it so rare and expensive ?

who knows ? :-)

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/pubweb/publicSite.r?sContinent=EUR&screen=lotdetailsNoFlash&iSaleItemNo=3817505&iSaleNo=16359&iSaleSectionNo=1

or this one on ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300462376699
...Man made electric light to take us out of the dark
Man made the boat for the water, like Noah made the ark
.... James B.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: onion bottle 1700 ..
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 10:57:01 AM »
I believe the seal is the important bit for massive prices.

Shame, the seals are a nice feature on these gorgeous bottles, but put them right out of my league!
I've not welcomed you to the gmb yet, Claretjugcollector  :hi:
- I've been a bit daunted by the amazing things you're posting and your gorgeous website,  :thud:
and have little to contribute - but I hope to learn a lot from you - I'm really pleased you've found us - even if you are simply stirring up the green monster of jealousy in me, you are bringing something simply wonderful to the board. :clap:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

• Members
    • www.karaffensammler.at
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 11:06:08 AM »
Dear Sue !

What a nice & warm welcome - many thx for that - whenever you have any questions and i am able to help i will answer them !
and thanks so much that you will learn something from me - but i think i am the guy who will learn from here  :fr:

i realized that you are from scotland - great ! i have to come and see this wonderful country !
by the way : i collect " single malts " as well - the absolute best in the world come from scotland !

kindest regards from austria , Thomas  :hi:
.... James B.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 05:01:29 PM »
Great glass and single malts(10 year old at least ;D) what more in life could there be,welcome :cheers:

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 06:52:10 PM »
Yes, a 17th / 18th century bottle with a seal will be quite expensive to buy, especially if, as with the Bonham's example, it is previously unrecorded.

As for the example shown in the link to eBay, can we be sure that a bottle like that is really that old? The glass is quite translucent (and not "black" as stated in the listing) whereas the Bonham's example is closer to opaque. The neck of the eBay one shows a much thicker form whereas the Bonham's one is thinner. And the photo of the base of the eBay example shows wear that does not seem to be in keeping with being over 250 years old. And why were there no bids?
KevinH

• Members
    • www.karaffensammler.at
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 06:20:42 AM »
i see ! and i see much clearer now - thanks - unrecorded is it - very interesting - many many thx , thomas
.... James B.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand