No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this an Ysart Harlequin?  (Read 3714 times)

Offline zidori

• Members
Is this an Ysart Harlequin?
« on: September 07, 2010, 10:02:43 PM »
I spotted this at a recent boot fair and immediately thought of a Harlequin paperweight by Paul Ysart. There is a central cane in the base which could be an "H cane" but is rather squashed or misshapen so difficult to tell. Can anyone shaed any light on this, please? It is 2.75 inches in diameter.
Regards
Ronnie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Is this an Ysart Harlequin?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 05:31:46 AM »
AS far as I know the answer is no.  Attached (#1&2) are photos of my harlequin and the cane it has.  Yours is very like a Perthshire Aladdin's tent (see photo #3).

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:09:29 AM »
Hi - thanks for your rsponse. I think your paperweight is known as a Fountain as shown at the following link http://www.ysartglass.com/PaulYsart/PYP3001.htm (the wonderful Ysartglass site by Frank Andrews). I am hoping my find is the Harlequin, as shown at the same link but I understand that other makers did produce similar and I am not knowledgable enough to tell by comparing my pics to the illustration at ysartglass, hence the request here.
Kind Regards
Ronnie

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:38:45 AM »

I'm pretty sure it is a Perthshire PP7 design which they called an 'Aladdin's cave'.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:26:59 AM »
Thanks for the info Alan - and thanks again to Ross for his initial ID. The info has already been filed away in the empty brain cells for future use.
Regards
Ronnie

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 12:42:26 PM »
Sorry, Ronnie, yours aren't the only brain cells struggling - of course mine is an Ysart Fountain  :-[   The only point I wonder about with the Aladdin is that my base is a solid dark colour yours looks more like the fountain base shown in the Ysart site.

Ross

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 01:27:23 PM »

I recall a lot at auction (? in Edinburgh) a couple of years ago that had at least a dozen Harland fountains all together, and the bases of those varied greatly in colour and in depth of colour.  There was also another similarly sized lot of Harland crowns.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 01:40:24 PM »
The only point I wonder about with the Aladdin is that my base is a solid dark colour yours looks more like the fountain base shown in the Ysart site.
Ross, could you please provide a link to the "fountain base" you mention. As far as I know, there are no base shots of Fountain weights in the Ysartglass site (or am I being forgetful?).

For information, I can say that I have never seen a Paul Ysart weight that has a base (or ground) like the "blotchy" one in the Aladdin's Cave weight. PY did use mottled grounds (at least in his earlier weights) but they looked to be fairly solid until you get close to them. Later Fountian weights normally had a solid colour ground, although many were quite transluscent.
KevinH

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 01:53:33 PM »
Kev, I simply looked at the link provided by Ronnie and there is my "Fountain" but with blue colours.  The base I mentioned was in relation to my "Aladdin" weight (see attached) which in mine is an even dark colour whereas Ronnies is much lighter and mottled rather like the colours which show up on yhe Ysart site for an Ysart Fountain.

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 01:57:33 PM »
I've just been on the Scotlands Glass website looking at the Alladin's Cave there and I have to say that althought he design is identical to mine there are two striking differences. The one on the Scotland's Glass website is composed of whole canes melded together whereas my one seems to be composed of crushed canes and secondly, the base of the Scotland's Glass weight is solid colour whereas my one is much more mottled, again looking like a conglomerate of crushed cane pieces. Were these two styles consistent with this weight?
ronnie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand