No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue pressed glass vase - Skrufs or Walther. ID= Georgshütte / Boffzen  (Read 10252 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Blue pressed glass vase - Skrufs or Walther
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 05:09:41 PM »
Emmi, next time I have a nose around mistaken identities I will let you know if I spot any that need updating.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 05:23:01 PM »
quote yesterday from 'glassobsessed'........'Sorry about being pedantic but it is Skruf not Skrufs'.........John, as a beginner please do put me right, but should it not be 'Gullaskruf'....I though that Skrufs was a show for canines. :)   thanks   Paul S.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 05:32:32 PM »
Two different companies Paul.

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 06:55:01 PM »
thanks John - appreciate the education. :) - and both Swedish too!   However, I think I might also have fallen foul of putting the 's' at the end.    I see that Ivo's book give the name with an 's' in the subject heading, and the logo can apparently genuinely be 'Skrufs Kristall' for some pieces. :)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 09:36:45 PM »
I understand the problem with the Whitefriars forum, and I'm quite willing to put the Skruf ID behind me and accept it as Walther, Oberglas or whatever else - but I need a bit more to justify a different name.

And that is where I run into trouble in my research - the Skruf - Lars Hellsten ID is really, really widespread on the internet. The vase or series is common enough for me to find lots of times, but always attached with this exact same attribution. I've seen it on forums and with very different sellers in different countries. Yes, I see a lot of weird attributions and mistaken identities with lots of glass - but usually that is a lone seller making up a name that would sell better. Sometimes there is a good base for the mistake as vases that look very similar. And sometimes a wrong attribution in a book causes the problem.

I've tried the names you suggest - but I'm not finding my vase. And when I find my vase, Lars and Skruf are there... I really wish someone here would know what the source of this particular attribution is. For it to be so unanimously, it has to be some sort of usually reputable source, like a book.

And I repeat about the quality that is repeatedly being bashed now - it's not a bad quality vase in my opinion. Yes, it's pressed glass, no it's not crystal, but the detail of the pattern is pretty good, and I've seen a lot, lot worse in pressed coloured glass. I consider it to be of higher quality than the Walther vase I've included for comparison.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 09:44:33 PM »
Emmi, next time I have a nose around mistaken identities I will let you know if I spot any that need updating.

Thanks John.  I usually come across them when I am hunting for something, then have a little trawl to update what I can at that time...........but there are quite literally thousands in that data base, and in the main the info is good, very small percentage is innaccurate for one reason or another.

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 08:20:07 AM »
thanks John - appreciate the education. :) - and both Swedish too!   However, I think I might also have fallen foul of putting the 's' at the end.    I see that Ivo's book give the name with an 's' in the subject heading, and the logo can apparently genuinely be 'Skrufs Kristall' for some pieces. :)

Without knowing much like anything of Swedish glass companies I would, however, suspect that saying "Skrufs" and "Skruf" is like saying "Riihimäen" or "Riihimäki". i.e. both "correct" then, in the same way, at least in spoken language.

The company called Skrufs Glasbruk (Skrufs glassworks) is situated in a village called "Skruv". Their logo says "Skruf".
Gullaskrufs Glasbruk was situated in "Gullaskruv"
(Riihimäen Lasi was in Riihimäki)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 08:24:06 AM »
Quote from wikipedia
the genitive [aka possessive] is formed by adding -s to the end of a word. This -s genitive functions more like a clitic  than a proper case and is nearly identical to the possessive suffix used in English. Note, however, that in Swedish this genitive s is appended directly to the word and must not be preceded by an apostrophe.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 01:26:55 PM »
that's easy for you to say Christine :).....but what does it mean :)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 06:23:02 PM »
Any new thoughts on this vase? - Skruf, Walther, Oberglas,...?

I guess Oberglas is still a contender, but to date I have not seen any of their pressed glass in this dark blue, and neither this vase in any other colour...

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand