No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Molineaux Webb - early pressed glass candlesticks  (Read 8817 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Molineaux Webb - early pressed glass candlesticks
« on: September 09, 2010, 01:05:50 PM »
A snippet from the Molineaux Webb pressed glass catalogue...

There is one area where the pressed glass catalogue overlaps with the higher quality items in the pattern book, and that is in the area of candlesticks. All the pressed glass designs here were also made in non-pressed models, bar number 497. 

The pressed glass drawings look more angular compared to the curvy pattern book drawings. I would date the designs to the 1850s.

It is unclear if any pressed pieces were coloured, but the pattern book versions certainly were, and they were nearly all given names like so:

492 = "No. 2 Piano" (pale yellow)
493 = Regina    (amber)
494 = Florentine (white)
495 = Cambridge (pale green)
496 = Balmoral (white)
498 = no name given (sapphire blue)

So far I have only seen a single example of a Molineaux Webb candlestick, and it is from a photo sent to me by Dave Peterson of the Regina model 493. You can see it on the following page of my website:

http://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/pattern

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Molineaux Webb - early pressed glass candlesticks
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 04:40:21 PM »
All the pressed glass designs here were also made in non-pressed models

Neil, could you elaborate on what you mean by this please as I'm a bit lost... ?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 04:57:44 PM »
Hi Anne,

I'm showing my ignorance of glass terminology here - I'm not sure whether the candlesticks in the pattern book are "mould blown" or cut glass, or whatever! There are no pressed glass pieces in the Molineaux Webb pattern book - it's all cut, engraved, etched etc.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 06:02:39 PM »
I have a Regina candlestick, battered but much loved.  ;D ;D ;D. (My suspect was Boston and Sandwich, but now I know) It's pressed in two pieces and then joined with a wafer. There's no cutting. I also think it's in what they call canary flint. It weighs a ton.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 09:47:18 PM »
There is one area where the pressed glass catalogue overlaps with the higher quality items in the pattern book, and that is in the area of candlesticks. All the pressed glass designs here were also made in non-pressed models, bar number 497.  

The pressed glass drawings look more angular compared to the curvy pattern book drawings. I would date the designs to the 1850s.

Neil

I don't quite follow.  

Are you saying that the candlesticks are in the pattern book?  Or that there are patterns with the same numbers as these candlesticks in the pattern book?

If it is the latter, are the patterns the same/similar or different?  Can you provide a couple of examples of the pattern pictures associated with the candlesticks?

Sid

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 05:59:02 AM »
Hi Sid,

Both the Molineaux Webb pattern book and the pressed glass catalogue have a range of candlesticks which are numbered from 490 upwards. They are clearly the same designs but one set is pressed and the other is cut or mould blown or some other technique! I can't publically show the pattern book ones for copyright reasons, but they can be viewed by anyone who goes to the Manchester Art Gallery as the candlestick pages are printed out and on their display wall. If you email me via the contact email on my website I am happy to show you, or anyone, a copy of the pattern book candlesticks for private viewing.

http://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/contact---updates

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 08:19:38 AM »
It is possible that they are in both pattern books because they are lead crystal. They either hand made and then cut, or pressed. Mould blown is not an option, at least with mine.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 05:13:16 AM »
...   They [were] either hand made and then cut, or pressed.   ...

Christine & Neil — The above has unjustifiably eliminated the cut pressed blank option.   I'm starting to conclude that what I used to believe was posh dealer pomposity about pressed glass — you know: "Handmade is good (expensive), pressed is rubbish (cheap)" — has its origins in Victorian times and was initiated by the glassworks themselves to keep it simple for the trade buyers.   What actually happened on the factory floor may have been and, in my opinion, often was rather different.

Bernard C.  8)

Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 08:07:40 PM »
I have been chatting to Jon Clark from the EAPG site and he has very kindly sent me a photo of a piece in his collection which we now know to be one of these Molineaux Webb early candlesticks. This is pattern 495 named Cambridge.

Jon states:
This candlestick is 5" tall and pressed in one piece.   There is no cutting/polishing of the candlestick detail per se but the underside of the base was ground and polished at the factory in my opinion. 

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 06:42:06 AM »
 Regina candlestick here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Large-Uranium-Cut-Glass-Candlestick-old-staple-repair-/260774812112
Even more battered than mine, which I must photograph

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand