No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Spherical, cobalt blue, silver flecked oil burner?  (Read 1316 times)

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
Spherical, cobalt blue, silver flecked oil burner?
« on: September 09, 2010, 08:49:44 PM »
My brother is a great one for raiding antique shops for novel gifts for my mother.  I don't know what he paid for this. 

This is what would appear to be a spherical device that you can fill with an ignition source (oil?) in a clear sphere inset into the top and has a wick inset into a metal tip (brass?) that is held inside the sphere with a spring.  What surprised me was that it was hollow inside, and the cobalt blue silver flecked glass seems to be folded into the bottom of an upper clear layer.  It has a clear circular sticker on top with gold writing that says 'CELLO HAND MADE', but I can't find anything with oil burner and CELLO on Google, so I wondered about you clever people on here.  Any ideas of origins, dates or value please?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Spherical, cobalt blue, silver flecked oil burner?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:22:37 PM »
There is / was a Cello Glass in Firozabad, India, which makes or made giftware items. I suspect this is one of theirs. :thup:

An earlier topic about the same item in a different colour is here:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=24441.0
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:33:02 PM »
Thank you!  :D  I think you have just solved a mystery for me from nearly two years ago! http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,24441.0.html 
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 09:47:18 PM »
Hi Leni

It's def. the same thing in a different colour, yours is just missing the little brass coloured wick holder - it is held in by a spring which holds the thing in the top most glass sphere with sprung loaded arms - in a similar manner to the way the tops are put into spherical blown glass christmas tree decorations.  The small brass top appears to have a thin hole in it, and I wonder if this is to fill it with (I'm guessing) oil perhaps by using a hyperdermic needle, I also think it would help to stop the oil getting air locked in the system.  There is a thick wick in ours and it has clearly never been used.  So there we are and according to Anne they could be indian in origin.  Though looking up that Cello glass in India on the internet they don't seem to sell anything like it now.

Does this mean I've been able to help someone? - glad I could help, if inadvertently, its better than just 'taking'  :thup:

Edit:  Leni you used the term 'part-pulegoso globe' does this describe the method of manufacture or did you think it was by a different maker?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand