No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ekenas Perfume Bottle  (Read 5088 times)

Connie

Ekenas Perfume Bottle
« on: December 16, 2005, 10:21:48 PM »
Another grat perfume I just acquired.  I know it is Ekenas because it had a label  :wink:

Do you know the pattern name/line name and year it was made?

It approximately 7 inches tall with the clear glass bottom and stopper.  The bottom is a bright yellow glass with many small bubbles. The bottom has a polished pontil mark.

Ekenas Perfume

Edited: I have hidden this in my shop now until I properly identify it. It shouldn't be showing in my general catalog.

Thanks!

Connie

Ekenas Perfume Bottle
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 02:25:44 AM »
Gentle bump.

I have searched and searched and can not find much info on Ekenas. I can find no other scent or perfume bottles at all.  The closest item I have found in style to my perfume is vase designed by John Orwar Lake in the 1950s.

http://www.jax-deco.com/scandinavian.html

Any ideas where I might get more info?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Ekenas Perfume Bottle
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 07:47:46 AM »
http://www.antikviteter.net/antikprat/
then click glas - konstglas
but be warned: the forum is in Swedish only. They will understand a question in English but will normally answer in Swedish.

Connie

Ekenas Perfume Bottle
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 11:26:39 AM »
Thank you, Ivo.

I forgot to say the other bit of info I gleaned from an internet search was that Lake was a designer at Ekenas from 1953-76.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Ekenas Perfume Bottle
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 01:55:02 PM »
Hi Connie
What a fab funky item + yellow too = my color.
Please let me know when you offer it for sale - it could be my first perfume bottle !

I've managed to find about 20 Ekenas items online but non of them like this and only one not signed.

Lake could have designed this as he was there so long but he seems better known for his engraved designs and mottled bi-colour vases. This is the most modern looking piece I've found by him - also signed http://www.antikportal.dk/?page=antique_doc&id=157&lang=dk#

There were other designers but mostly for short periods - maybe freelance. If by one of those, that could also explain why it's not signed, the company prefering to promote only themsleves and their in-house designers.
Pete

Connie

Ekenas Perfume Bottle
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 02:08:06 PM »
Thank you, Peter.  I love the  color too - it is like sunshine which we need here since it is snowing again!

The reason I think it might be Lake is the bubbly glass with the thich clear base.  Both the vase I showed and the bowl (which I had seen also) seem to have this bubbly glass.

I am going to re-examine the piece to make sure it isn't signed.

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Ekenas Perfume Bottle
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 06:15:19 PM »
This is where the money is for Ekenas, a 1940s piece by Edvin Ollers.
http://tradera.msn.se/auction/aid_22110959

any luck on the signature ?
I don't really care - I just like it !
Pete

Connie

Ekenas Perfume Bottle
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 07:26:31 PM »
Peter -

I examined the piece in daylight with a loupe and I couldn't find a signature.  But what I did discover was that the yellow glass is much more like the pink bowl than my initial pictures would indicate.  When lit from the back by strong sunlight you can see that the glass is streaky with many small bubbles.

I think the perfume appears more opaque or solid because it is a tight cylinder rather than an open bowl so you are looking through both sides of the cylinder, if that makes sense.

I want to get another picture of it in the sunlight but I don't have time right now.  I have to hem my DD's skirt for Wassail tonight  :roll:   I would rather be playing with glass  :lol:

Connie

Ekenas Perfume Bottle
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 12:00:49 PM »
Ivo -

I attempted to post my question on the forum you provided.  But I couldn't.  It gave me a forbidden IP message which I interpret to mean I have to register.  But I can't find the registration button since I don't read Swedish  :oops:

Ivo can you or someone else please help me to register and post or post the question for me?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Ekenas Perfume Bottle
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 03:01:53 PM »
No you do not need to register.  scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and press the button "skapa ny diskussion" (create new topic)
you then get a screen "skriv en rubrik för den nya diskussionen" - fill in the header ("Ekenäs flaskedesignor"?)

and in the window underneath just ask your question.

You must fill in your name (any name) in "Namm eller Signatur" otherwise you get an error message.

Your e-mail is optional in "Epost (frivillig uppg.)"

then press the button underneath which says "Förhandsgranska/ Skicke Medelande" (preview/ send)

you then get a preview window; press "skicke medelande" again and Bob's your uncle. It may take a minute.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand