No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another, much less splendid Clichy  (Read 1221 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Another, much less splendid Clichy
« on: September 12, 2010, 03:33:12 PM »

What am I missing here? This poor specimen looks to have had the base flattened, the top ground down, two flats ground on the side, and is, basically, a mess. There would be little left if it was properly re-shaped and restored.  The nosegay is fairly neat, but there is no rose cane. Yet it made over £200.... :o

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jinxi

• Members
Re: Another, much less splendid Clichy
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 02:29:38 PM »
Hi

I really know very little about paperweights but we have an old inherited one that I identified as Clichy but it has a little damage. 

I was very interested to read your negative comments about what had been done to this one and even I can see that it has totally lost its shape and proportions but I would like to ask you where or who you would recommend me to take ours to if I could ever afford to have someone restore it? 

It is a lens cut type with a few fleabites and scratches but the worst of the damage is a bruised area between the bottom of the lenses and the starcut base.  Your two posts have told me that obviously there is still a market for restored paperweights but I would be interested to know more.

Many thanks

Veronica
I am in England.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 03:26:41 PM »
Hi Veronica

I know of very few places that can do a good job on facetted weights, but it is worth contacting the people at the Ruskin Centre in Stourbridge. There are glass restorers there who used to be at the Red Cone, and I believe they are good with paperweights, and reasonably priced.

Ruskin Glass Centre, Wollaston Road, Amblecote, Stourbridge, West Midlands DY8 4HF, tel: 01384 399460.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:15:01 PM »
Hi Alan

Many thanks for your speedy and informative reply which is much appreciated.  I shall save the info for now and contact them in the future.  Now I shall have a look at your website as I really would like to know a little more about paperweights!

Thank you again

Veronica

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand