No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'whale' shape and fish - pretty  (Read 1158 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
'whale' shape and fish - pretty
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:22:50 PM »
and possibly Chinese I would guess from what I have read on here, but I thought I would post this anyway.  I am not a paperweight collector but thought this would make a lovely stocking pressie for youngest son.
the more I look at it the more I think it is supposed to represent a whale rather than being just a random shape.  And I love the fish with their bubbles.
Am I right in thinking it is Chinese and does it look well made?  It is perfectly round although my camera has distorted it slightly.
Many thanks for any views.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: 'whale' shape and fish - pretty
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:44:38 PM »

I am sure you are correct in suggesting it is Chinese. And I think making things like this stocking fillers is an excellent idea: we give cheap and cheerful weights to young children, to try and infect them encourage them to be interested! ;D

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 07:07:33 PM »
thanks Alan  :) both my children love my glass and ceramics collection and always have their own views about pieces.  My oldest son (15) has already chosen the three vases he is taking with him when he leaves home so 'encouraging' them obviously works  ;D
m

Offline glasseyed

• Members
    • England
    • Bridges Antiques
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:16:53 PM »
I like it, a fun weight for a youngster. My Mother "infected" me at an early age and we still talk "antiques" now on a regular basis (horse racing with Dad - especially now the "jump" season is upon us) :wsh:

Hazel
Hazel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 09:12:33 PM »
thanks :) my oldest already has the collecting (or is it the hoarding? :24:) bug and he's only 14 ::) 
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand