No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Geometric purple ashtray - ID = Jablonecke sklo  (Read 11479 times)

Offline Margi

• Members
Geometric purple ashtray - ID = Jablonecke sklo
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:54:11 AM »
Picked this up for the other half's ashtray collection.  It hits me as 1960's/1970's and was thinking poss Murano.  Very smooth, geometric and highly polished.  Perfect condition.  Thoughts if possible please.
Margi

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Murano??? geometric purple ashtray
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 07:18:33 AM »
It could be Czech, what colour is it?

John

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 07:37:04 AM »
It is amethyst will take some better pics now the sun is shining

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 07:42:26 AM »
Here is better pics hopefully.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:11:47 AM »
 ::) mmm, the clue was in the title wasn't it......

Anyway (quickly moving on), I would look towards Czechoslovakia or Bohemia (depending on date) for a manufacturer. Andy McConnell in his book 20th Century Glass (page 57) shows similar examples with "designer unknown for Heinrich Hoffman c1930".

John

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 08:30:53 AM »
I suggest you put it near a flourescent light - I expect it to turn pale blue or pale green.  If so it is neodymium glass and I woould then favour a Bohemian maker.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 08:37:37 AM »
Thanks peeps.  I have thought about the alexandrite because this morning it looked more grey not seen it turn green or blue yet though.

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 09:04:41 AM »
The piece is Czechoslovakian, designed by Grecia Scheibler, see
http://www.desna-glass.cz/www/products-detail.php?id=146

later fabricated in Jablonecke sklo and then in Desna.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

Offline Oliver

• Members
    • History and products of the bohemian glass industry at Oberursel, Germany
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 03:20:03 PM »

Does somebody have any informations about Grecia Scheibler?

Scheibler is a common name of the Jablonec area, but I have never heard about "Grecia Scheibler".

I´m shure the ashtray is originally designed by Franz Burkert (1904-1968) who was born at Josefuvdul (Josefsthal) near Jablonec (Gablonz). He was known as perfume-bottel designer for Rachmann brothers at Haida/Novy bor and had also a small company at Josefuvdul where Carl Riedel had his facilities. After expulsion from bohemia in 1946 he and his family stranded in Hesse/Germany where he founded the "Kristallglas GmbH" and was one of 10 bohemian founding members of the HG "Hesse Glasworks" (Hessenglas GmbH) at Oberursel-Stierstadt / Germany. He became quite famous for his harmonic and ageless geometric-design.

This ashtray was further on manufactured by the "Kristallglas GmbH" at Oberursel from 1947 up to the 70s in two sizes. Many colours are known, for example the solid colours Seegrün (seagreen), Rauchgrau (smoke), Flieder (amethyst), Alexandrit, Champagner (citrin) and even cased colours like well-known Hessenglas-specialty Regenbogenglas (rainbow). This ashtray was quite often sold to the US and France. The original design-drawings are stationed at the Vortaunus-Museum in Oberursel. Two perfume bottles of Franz Burkert are btw at the CMOG, New York.

Here you can see some examples of the ashtray (with the "Kristallglas GmbH Oberursel"-Lable fom 1950):

http://www.kristallglas-oberursel.net/Text/ProdukteKristallglas_Ascher.html

Here are more informations about the companys history:

http://www.kristallglas-oberursel.net/Text/HistorieKristallglas.html

Of course in 1946 Franz Burkerts drawings had to be left behind in his home country and they were also produced further on in Josefuvdul. When I visited Josefuvdul in 1991, I got one example of this ashtray in yellow, which was just manufactured there. In the Mid-90s I saw new ashtrays from Bohemia-Crystal. Suddenly it appears at Desna too.
This speaks for this ageless design; I think its just great.

I also have one japanese copy of the Kristallglas-Rainbow-ashtray. In fact they did not manage to produce the rainbow-colour, they just glued on a multicoloured foil on the bottom to imitate the rainbow-colour reflections. 

I´m not shure about the origin of this topics ashtray, but it seems it could be the solid Hessenglas-colour "Flieder". Examples you can find on my homepage. It will take some time to put a complet english translation about the new "Jablonec-industry-connection" at Oberursel to the net, so feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Hope I could help a little,
Oliver

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 03:58:04 PM »
Interesting news, Oliver

I do not know where the attribution at Desna website came from.
The best expert in our country for this North Bohemian region is Dr. Petr Nový (petr.novy(at)msb-jablonec.cz - Mod: CHANGE (at) TO @ TO MAKE ADDRESS WORK) from Glass museum in Jablonec (www.msb-jablonec.cz). As far as I know he co-operated with Desna Glass, possibly he will be able to give you qualified answer.
I suppose that Mr. Novy speaks also German.

Jindrich
www.webareal.cz/ceskoslovenskesklo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand