No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this by Tamara Aladin? ID = Riihimaen  (Read 9427 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Is this by Tamara Aladin? ID = Riihimaen
« on: December 17, 2005, 10:58:22 AM »
Ok, lets see if I have learnt something from the knowledgeable people on this board. I hope I have paid attention.
I think that I have a cased glass, double flared vase from Riihimaen Lasi, designed by Tamara Aladin. The only problem that I have, is that this one is 12" high and I have only seen others at 10" high, but again I am learning.
Any info would be welcome.

Thanks......Again. :lol:  :lol:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
Is this by Tamara Aladin?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 06:28:23 PM »
I'm learning too, isn't this a Bamboo vase? Either Aseda or Riihimaki, yes?

I've seen that base somewhere before, can't think where though.  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Sklounion

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 06:38:56 PM »
Della,
a word of caution, based on what looks like snow/ice in your garden....
thermal shock.... can seriously damage your glass, with large temperature changes causing fractures/shattering, particularly if you are moving the glass from a heated house to the garden and back.
regards,
Marcus

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 06:51:16 PM »
Hi Della  :D

It's a nice Riihimaen vase, I have a few in different colours.  I've also got a clear chunkier one with a Finncrystal sticker on it, which was their export label (according to Smoke & Ice).

As to the designer, it could be Tamara Aladin, but I've never seen it attributed definitely to anyone.

PS:  That's a lovely colour, and it's the one I'm missing!   :(
I am not a man

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 11:25:59 PM »
Hi Tigerchips :lol:  :D ,
I think bamboo vases really look like bamboo. I have surfed and surfed on the Internet and bambo vases are a little bit different. I have seen the same vase, as I have, different colour, smaller size on http://www.vetrocollections.com/, they also have a bamboo vase for sale. They say that my vase is designed by Tamrara Aladin and made by Riihimaen Lasi in the 70's. I am a little bit lost with Riihimaen Lasi Oy (Oy means Comapny, I think :!: ) and Riihimaki. The difference was explained in a thread once, but I can't find it again.
The base was discussed in an earlier thread, which was about a 'pala' vase and concetric circles, if my memory serves me correctly.
Marcus :wink: ,
I did read a post not so long ago, about temperature changes and the effect it can have on glass. I did take note and took this photo when the vase was extremely cold.....the post man had delivered it 10 minutes before I took the photo. I really do appreciate your concern and hope that new members take as much notice of the posts that are written as I do. I really do read all that members post on these forums, and I do take thing seriously.
Hi Max,  :lol:
I can only go off what I have read. On the site, mentioned above, they accredit Tamara Aldain with this design. I have just seen another vase, with a Riihimaen sticker attached, for sale here in Holland, but I am coming back to the UK next week so I can't make a bid. I have added it to my favourites and I hope that it is still for sale when I come back.
I must say, I also love the colour of this vase. The photo, which I saw before I bought this vase, did not do it justice at all.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 12:38:39 AM »
Quote from: "Deltab"
I have seen the same vase, as I have, different colour, smaller size on http://www.vetrocollections.com/

:shock:

Those prices are obscene!

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 12:49:30 AM »
I love this vase.

I collect Riihimaen in the blue colour ways.

The base rings give it away as being Riihimaen (for me), put together with that colour and Max's similar labelled vases.

On another thread we did the base rings to death LOL.

Ivo told explained to us about the rings, that it’s the cylindrical ones that have them rather than the other shapes, to do with a turning process in the mould.

If Max can’t get the designers name from all the books I know she has on Riihimaen (Scandinavian) glass, then I won’t even try. Only a silly uneducated guess - since Aladin liked the undulating shape (Tuulikki) I would settle on him, but don’t take that as an attribution.

It is a beautiful vase and nice and tall, I wonder if I could impose on you to post the weight and the thickness of the rim for a little research I am doing.

Thanks

Adam P

P.S. just looked at the site Nic - been in it before for a browse but you are right a different colour with the Aladin attribution

vase

Also - If I was to assess my Riihimaen collection on their prices, I could buy a second home - LOL a lot of these go for £12.00 on eBay I have lots of these vase they want $225.00!!

vase and is this $225.00 Riihimaen surely not Aseda
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 08:00:03 AM »
Sure Adam, no problem. It weighs 1.398kg and the rim is 6mm.

Nic - I thought that they were pricey too.
I only paid 10 pounds for this one, so I am quite happy with my purchase.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 12:33:44 AM »
Thanks Della

1.4k is a good weight despite the size, a rim of 6mm is much thicker than other pieces of cylindrical Riihimaen. I have a few pieces within the range of your piece, same muted colours and turned base, thicker rim, and heavier than other pieces, the glass seems to have more of a sparkle.

I can't put my finger on it, there seems to be a connection

What do you think Max .. or is this just one of my fantastical theories again LOL

vase

vase

Both the above are really heavy 1.4 /2 kilos

vases

These are typical Riihimaen but very light and rim is thin

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »
Ok... :D ...I've taken down a couple of vases from a shelf and spread dust far and wide!   :roll:  :x

I'd say Della's vase is almost certainly Finncrystall...the Riihimaen export label.  Here's a photo of my one against a 'normal' Riihimaen vase in the same shape.

http://tinypic.com/ir8jua.jpg

http://tinypic.com/iv8e15.jpg

The rim on my clear Finncrystal piece is a whopping 7mm thick and it's a shade under 12" high.  The amber vase looks tiny by comparison, huh?  Both vases have the concentric rings to the base.
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand