No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this by Tamara Aladin? ID = Riihimaen  (Read 9441 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Is this by Tamara Aladin?
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 02:18:51 PM »
Those prices are obscene!

They seem very high to us Nic. but
1) You can't expect Ebay prices from online shops where they may hold items for a long time - as opposed to the 10 days or whatever for Ebay.

2) We see a lot of Riihimaki here in UK (and Holland it seems ?) but it seems not to be so prevelant in the States and while we may be comfortable buying glass from other countries, most people don't even think of it, so national prices can vary considerably.

On the other hand iittala and Kosta are generally much cheaper in the States than here. I've seen items from these companies go for very high prices on Ebay UK when they are available at discount stores in the US !

Some easily recognised and well known pieces do have an international price it seems. Terry saw a signed Tapio Wirkkala Palas Vase in a shop in Iowa City for almost exactly the same price as offered by Willem Botterweg online from Holland which in turn was not far above what that item would be expected to fetch on ebay.
Pete

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 03:12:54 PM »
Hi Max,
Thanks for taking the time to put your vases next to each other and photograph them. That is really kind of you and does put things in perspective for me. :D

Hi Peter,
As to whether there are a lot of Riihimaki pieces in Holland....I really don't know. My knowledge (as you know) is very limited. Ivo is the best one to answer that one. I live in a really, really tiny village and flea markets are few and far between, 2-3 a year in a very broad area, and carboots don't exsist. Shops don't open on Sundays and close early on Saturdays.

Oh, roll on Friday when I can come home to the UK for Christmas :!:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 03:53:56 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"
1) You can't expect Ebay prices from online shops where they may hold items for a long time - as opposed to the 10 days or whatever for Ebay.

This is true, but they make even the most expensive of UK retro-collectable shops appear good value for money.  :lol:  But I suspect that the prices would probably seem high to Americans too, as the sellers have almost certainly done no real research into values as they have put blanket prices on practically every piece taking no account of varying desirability of different designs/colours/sizes.

I've found a lot of American eBay users don't mind buying from abroad, though, as their eBay automatically shows you search results from around the world and you have to click things for a native-specific search. The opposite of eBay UK. In my (admittedly modest) experience of around 250 sales, about 1/3rd of my vintage items on eBay go to the USA.

Holmegaard, I've noticed, tends to sell a lot cheaper in the USA, though. And in Australia. Unfortunately postage costs usually bump the prices back up to UK prices - but not always!  :)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 03:59:36 PM »
Quote from: "Deltab"
whether there are a lot of Riihimaki pieces in Holland....I really don't know. My knowledge (as you know) is very limited. Ivo is the best one to answer that one. I live in a really, really tiny village and flea markets are few and far between, 2-3 a year in a very broad area, and carboots don't exsist. Shops don't open on Sundays and close early on Saturdays.

you should go out more  :D  I think there are good markets on a regular basis in EIndhoven, home of Dutch modernity, and you're in its burb!

i can confirm that Holland is full of Riihimäki and Åseda, but mostly smaller pieces.  The Dutch never spent money on decoration, and  Åseda and Empoli were cheap in the 60s. Riihimäki was a class better, and Iittala was only for the affluent.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 04:31:36 PM »
Hi Max,
Thanks for taking the time to put your vases next to each other and photograph them. That is really kind of you and does put things in perspective for me.  

No problem at all.   :)  xx
I am not a man

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 06:35:36 PM »
Finncrystall

Very interesting Max ... ones I have seen with this label (same pattern yet different weights and rim sizes, some with same, some without rings) are heavy and have the thicker rim. I am very glad you responded Max and showed the vases side by side.  

Max I have not got my books from Finland yet so can I ask when was the Finncrystall label applied for the first time. It's a long shot but it may correlate with an overhaul in production. I am interested in this now as I have same pattern vases with some having heavy weight with the 6mm rim

Adam P

Thanks again Max
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 06:38:17 PM »
David said:
Max I have not got my books from Finland yet so can I ask when was the Finncrystall label applied for the first time.

I'm sorry...I don't think I can help there.  I'll see if I can find out.  :?
I am not a man

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2005, 06:52:16 PM »
late 60s and 70s according to Smoke and Ice

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2005, 09:21:28 PM »
Thanks Ivo
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Tamara Aladin vase.
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 10:57:39 AM »
Hi All,

A while back, I posted a question about a vase that I have.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,3612.0.html

The general consensus was that these vases were probably designed by Tamara Aladin, but as yet they had not been positively attributed as such.

I have been in touch with a lovely lady, called Anna Hjalmarsson at http://www.old-items.com/ She informs me that these vases are a Tamara Aladin design and that the name of them is "Reimari" She acquired the attribution from an avid Finnish glass collector and she has no reason to doubt the information given to her.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand