No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it possible to date this IOW Red Azurene paperweight ?  (Read 5004 times)

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Re: Is it possible to date this IOW Red Azurene paperweight ?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 05:34:53 PM »
Thanks Ross,

The hypo worked on the silver bangle in such a way that once the tarnish was removed the silver was as shiny as it was before the tarnishing had turned it grey/black. There is no dulling effect (as in acid etching) due to the hypo . The same with the vase I cleaned which is next to the paperweight in the above photo. Very bright and shiny silver. It's only the paperweight that remained silvery grey but definately brighter & cleaner looking.

The problem for me is that I don't know how  the paperweight looked  when it was first made. Was the silver very silvery or was it silvery grey ? Still I just wanted to point out that the hypo doesn't dull the silver just in case of any confusion .....without wishing to bore !  :sleep: ;)

Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2010, 07:03:48 PM »
I can't answer you, sorry!
Here's a pic of my best and favourite bit of Azurene.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/Azfish2.jpg
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2010, 04:21:44 AM »
Well , how stunning is that !! It's just superb. It looks like the Azurene has been cased....no cleaning needed !

I just thought I would post a pic of the silver leaf vase taken less than a week after cleaning. It looks worse than it did before I cleaned it ! There is only silver decorating this vase so all that is brown should be silver.

Perhaps the vase was coated in an anti-tarnish spray before I cleaned it and the hypo removed the coating.

It just shows how important it is to coat after cleaning with an anti-tarnish spray ! :usd:
Mike

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010, 11:40:27 AM »
 :spls:
Oh dear. It's a lovely piece - and it's about time you put it in a thread on it's own for id.  :thup:

My normal (goddard's) silver polish has an anti-tarnish feature. I've checked out my red cylinder - not looked at it for ages - it's just like your weight was - grey and a few black bits.
I really think fussing about what it looked like exactly when it was first made is irrelevant. They'll all do the tarnishing thing if the silver is exposed.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2010, 07:01:15 PM »
Thanks Sue , It's been fun experimenting though  8). The vase is a bit wonky around the rim , it looks like an experiment thats why I ' let rip ' with the hypo on it ! 
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand