No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Sommerso cat?  (Read 2519 times)

Offline bethr

• Members
Sommerso cat?
« on: August 29, 2010, 03:42:59 AM »
I believe this is a Sommerso cat, but not all that familiar. It is approx. 12" tall and quite heavy. Can anyone advise further? When & by whom made? Approximate value? Thanks in advance!

Offline bethr

• Members
Re: Sommerso cat?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 08:34:35 PM »
Hi. Me again. Just checking- am I barking up the right tree? Is this even Murano glass? I am hoping to draw upon your knowledge- which I definately lack! Not certain if this belonged to my parents or grandparents, as it has unfortunately been undiscovered (or fortunately been discovered...) in a box in my basement. I think it is a truly interesting piece & wish to know more about it. Thank you! Beth

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 08:53:38 PM »
Hi Bethr   :hi:  Welcome to the GMB.   :)

You'll have to give our members a bit of time to see your posting...be patient, I'm sure someone will be able to give you some info soon.  It's a lovely looking piece of glass and looks Murano to me.  I don't suppose you've got a UV light you can shine on it?  It looks like it's uranium glass.   :)

I am not a man

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 08:55:28 PM »
PS:  I've just done a quick Google and until you get proper info from an expert, you could Google 'Cenedese Cat' and try Antonio Da Ros (or Daros...never sure quite which spelling these days!)

I am not a man

Offline bethr

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 09:49:21 PM »
Thank you & my apologies... patience is not my strong suit! I appreciate your help and will follow up on the information you provided. As for a light... will have to work on that. Again, much appreciation!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 11:44:03 PM »
Da Ros for Cenedese was my first thought, too.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 08:31:19 AM »
I would say Cenedese
Or, in case Cenedese "replica"

Alex

www.artofvenice.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 07:56:37 PM »
I agree with Cenedese, and would also lean towards Antonio Daros....  (this is the proper spelling as reported by his daughter in another thread on the board (  http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,18635.0.html  )

Is it UV reactive?  May help to date it.....

The other thread contains his daughters email and she offers to show items to her dad to confirm attributions.....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline bethr

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 01:11:36 AM »
Thank you all VERY much for your replies! I am amazed by the knowledge you have shared.

I was able to find an UV light. Wow! That is really neat. I had no idea a light make it 'glow.' So, I guess in your expert terms, it is indeed UV reactive.

I am truly grateful for the input and am enjoying learning more about my find.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand