No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help please re. Scandinavian blue glass candleholder  (Read 4563 times)

Offline bmbjosta

• Members
Help please re. Scandinavian blue glass candleholder
« on: September 14, 2010, 03:56:30 AM »
I recently purchased this blue glass candleholder of a woman- a candle can be placed on her head. I'm in Australia and this item was at my local auction house, which was auctioning off the contents of a Danish shipping container of antiques/collectibles/bric-a-brac/furniture. As such, I think it's probably Scandinavian, but otherwise know nothing about it (and very little about glass, generally).

The item is moulded glass so I assume that means it's not an antique- i.e. mid century modern?

Could anyone assist re. possible age, maker etc? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Help please re. Scandinavian blue glass candleholder
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 05:12:19 PM »
Welcome to the board.

Sorry no idea about your figure but wondered if she is designed to hold something under each arm?

Pressed glass has been around for a very long time but the figure does look fairly modern to me.

Dimensions might be useful.

John

Offline bmbjosta

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 12:28:16 AM »
Thanks for looking.

I'm not at home at the moment so I can't check on the size, but a rough estimate would be around 20cm tall.  It's quite heavy for its size.  I don't think she is designed to hold something under her arms- I have seen similar poses in Scandinavian pottery/porcelain figurines, and it doesn't look as if anything is broken off or scratched in that area.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 03:59:05 PM »
although I've spotted one of these on a Finnish flea market myself I would definitely say "not scandinavian" looking at the costume.
Scandinavian folk dresses have similarities between them (FI/SE/NO/DK), usually a white apron and a vest.

I googled a little (folk, costume, dress, traditional, national etc.)  trying to figure out some distinctive details;  the crinkled (probably lace?) collar, whatever the long thing in the back is. It seems no apron...

The closest I get are from eastern Europe. How about Polish?
here's a long ribbon from the hat: http://www.wayn.com/waynphotos.html?wci=photo&photo_key=25068685&member=6775277#pkey=25068799
And on this site scroll down and see "Woman's Folk Costume from Opoczno" (or click the first picture left on the third row) , similar kind of a collar and the stripes on the apron. http://www.easterneuropeanart.com/polish.htm

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 04:23:24 PM »
px is right...  the candleholder is Polish.  I've seen a few of them here, but I don't recall the glassworks.  

EDIT:  There are currently two in clear glass up for auction on Allegro...  they are unhelpfully described as "Old Polish glass":  http://allegro.pl/stare-polskie-szklo-orginal-zestaw-swiecznikow-i1265150846.html

Offline bmbjosta

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 11:52:23 PM »
Thanks again all for the comments.

In one of the related threads (link below) someone has stated the following- "A friends parents brought back a pair of these from Romania in the 1950's and had said they were her mothers who had them since the 1940's."  Would 1940s therefore be around the right date for my candleholder?  Due to the bright colours I assumed they were perhaps a little later (1950s-60s) but I am still learning about glass.  Also, did Romania make much/any glass?

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,18804.0.html

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 04:21:34 AM »
Your candleholder, and the ones in the other thread, is not Romanian, but Polish.  As the woman is wearing a Silesian national costume, the piece could have been made by Zabkowice glassworks (in the 1930s).

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 06:46:06 AM »
The colours are fine for 1940s or 1930s (and yes glass is made in Romania)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 07:19:25 PM »
I've come across some new information regarding this candleholder.  It may be called 'Karolinka' and is a figure dressed in costume used by the Silesian Song and Dance group.  It was produced by H.S. Ząbkowice in Będzin, possibly in the 1960s (I thought it would have been earlier).  Might be a lead...

http://allegro.pl/swiecznik-karolinka-h-zabkowice-lata-60-te-i1634478851.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand