No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 2 very strange unknown objects  (Read 1149 times)

Offline dinklepip

• Members
Re: 2 very strange unknown objects
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 04:44:10 PM »
100% sure these are vault lights ("pavement lights" for the Brits), but don't know who H&W is.  Are you positive that's the embossing?  The "H" is clear enough in your pic, but I can't make out the rest.  "58C" is like a Hayward Brothers (& Eckstein) style number, but these pattern lenses are not listed in their ca1900 catalogue (I see lense numbers like "53C" and "51G" there).

Haven't seen these exact patterns before-- the round one is a fairly common shape in general, but not with the raised grid on top (to make them grippier for shoes-- otherwise they are Slippery When Wet).  The square one is a style that's designed to have as much glass exposed on the bottom of the panel as possible-- hopefully all glass-- the better to transmit more light.

Do you like insulators?  Trade you!!!

--ian
WOW I can't believe anyone manage to ID these, I thought I would you ALL stumped.......I will get you all one day  :24: :24:

yes most definitely H with 58C in the centre then a W on the right.

Actually I do have some cream porcelain insulators, was told they are BT ones

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 06:49:22 PM »
WOW I can't believe anyone manage to ID these, I thought I would you ALL stumped.......I will get you all one day  ROFL ROFL

Pavement lights are interesting because so many were simply thrown away and lost.  Now they're a kind of dying breed of historical glass architecture, which is why we like'em!  Thanks for popping by here Ian.  :) :hi:

I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 07:48:17 PM »
yes most definitely H with 58C in the centre then a W on the right.

Actually I do have some cream porcelain insulators, was told they are BT ones

HW, well I'm stumped on that one-- so it's a new maker apparently.  Thought I knew all the big ones.  Maybe they were little fish?  Who knows?  It's not that unusual for me to find glass made buy yet another vault light company.   Vault lights were huge for a time and lots of people made them....

In the UK, glass insulators were tried very early, but they quickly switched to porcelain and it's been all "mud" ever since.

You're presumably more interested in glass?  I have lots of glass insulators for trade.  If you haven't seen what they look like, check out this gallery of colored glass insulators for starters...

--ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand