No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars type paperweight - more information sought  (Read 1958 times)

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
Whitefriars type paperweight - more information sought
« on: September 16, 2010, 02:41:16 AM »
I've had this paperweight in my collection for at least 15 years. When I bought it at a well known auction house it was called antique Whitefriars.  It is small, 2 1/4" diameter by 1 1/3" high.  It has 10 side facets. 

http://paperweights.com/pw231sm.jpg

As you can see,  it has Whitefriars type construction with the canes close to the bottom of the weight.  There is a ring of heart canes.  I don't recall seeing these canes anywhere else.  Can anyone shed any light on the origin or age of the paperweight?

Another view from the side:

http://paperweights.com/pw231side.jpg

Thanks.

Allan

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Whitefriars type paperweight - more information sought
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 06:02:21 AM »

Hi Allan.

The 'antique Whitefriars' myth (meaning pre-1930) was blown apart in the early 1990s, with the paperweights carrying an '1848' date being correctly attributed to Arculus or Walsh Walsh, and dating to the 1920s - 1930s. But a few dealers / sellers / auctioneers still use this term in 2010.

I suspect your weight is a Whitefriars weight - those heart canes look very like Whitefriars heart canes - but dating to the late 1940s / early 1950s. Whitefriars made very few paperweights until the 'Triplex' in 1951 and 'EIIR' in 1953, but they did make some. I had a paperweight inkwell with similar but different coloured heart canes, alongside canes that matched those in the 'EIIR' weights, and alongside these were some Walsh Walsh style '7/6' canes! I guess that came about because Walsh Walsh and Whitefriars collaborated on certain things in the late 1940s, and when Walsh Walsh closed in 1950, some workers probably moved to Whitefriars.

So I vote for yours being a Whitefriars weight from around 1950, with later facetting to remove damage.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jamalpa36

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:30:11 AM »
Hi Allan

My vote is for Walsh Walsh. They made a number of different heart canes and also the centre cane is typical.

The base of your weight does not have the Whitefriars indent button and I agree with Alan that it has been recut to remove damage.

Roy

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 12:10:50 PM »
Yep if the canes are not set into a seperate glass button with the clear dome over it  it aint W/Fs .

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 05:18:01 PM »

I'm not so sure we know exactly what Whitefriars paperweights look like from the 1948-1951 period, when they may have been collaborating with Walsh Walsh. But I would not rule out this being a post WW2 Walsh Walsh piece.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 01:23:17 PM »
Thanks to everyone who responded.  I knew it wasn't really antique as I also read those 1990s articles debunking the 19th century myth.  However, I was hoping someone had a weight with the same setup.  For now I will call it Walsh Walsh possibly as late as 1951. 

Allan

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand