No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Murano Cranberry Opalescent Pheasants  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Large Murano Cranberry Opalescent Pheasants
« on: September 17, 2010, 07:12:07 PM »
Around here twice a year there is what is known as the Extravaganza where dealers & the public can setup, usually draws 1,500 outdoor displays. This morning I happened by when a couple in an SUV were unloading & selling off the antiques from an Aunt who moved into assisted living. Not much glass, however they did have these rather large 16" high, body over curves 22" & 4" diameter base, pair of Pheasants or Roosters, which they may be I don't know. They are what I would call Cranberry Opalescent. I know its very difficult to attribute these Murano birds, however this pair was quite a bit different in both size & color than I think I've ever run across so I am asking if these ring a bell with anyone as to manufacturer or glass house. Excuse the photos, but the subject matter is rather large. Thanks, Ken

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Large Murano Cranberry Opalescent Pheasants
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »
I have no idea, but I must comment that although I generally do not care for figural glass..... I really like these and the colors......  Look to me to be of very high quality.....

My gut reaction is that someone will know (Anita where are you??), as the colors on these are quite different....

Nice find.....

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 09:14:40 PM »
Extremely nice birds you have there.  They are indeed made by a good glass house.  Barbini keeps coming to mind to me.  But I know Anita will know for sure. 

tam bam

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:17:50 PM »
Here I am, but I don't know how much help I can be. Their color is very nice. I have to ask about the eye, because I cannot see them well. Is it like a button with a raised pupil in the middle? These button-like eyes are a strong indicator that it is a JI Co (Blanco Glass) export -- whoever made these, I'm not sure. The pheasants made by them come in all types of colors and decoration, and they have different types of bases, but all that I've seen have the button-type eyes.

I have a picture (not mine) of a JI Co opal pheasant that is very much like yours, but the one in my picture has a glass ruffle around the shoulder. It has the same base and similar legs. If yours has button eyes, there is a good chance yours are also JI Co. Does anyone know if they made pheasants this large? All I've seen have been about 12" tall.

There are some JI Co pheasants at the bottom of https://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/birds-reptiles-2. They aren't like yours, but you can check the eye. I don't know if any other companies had eyes like this. I have never seen them on Barbini, Salviati, or Seguso, but they may have been used by some others.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 10:11:28 PM »
Anita...yes they do have what I would consider button eyes (attached pic) & what I think may be spurs at the base which might indicate a Rooster. I do know I can claim fame to a pair of the ugliest Murano birds, one in Peachblow & one in Burmese, the colors that were used to mimic U.S. art glass colors & I've never seen other examples. Their labels are still attached...Vetro Artistico Veneziano that is the company that flooded our art glass market with shall we say questionable Peachblow & Burmese pieces. Ken

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 10:46:52 PM »
The button eyes on yours look like they have gold. They aren't quite as high as the JI Co ones I've seen. I can't recall seeing a JI Co pheasant with gold in the eyes (but it may be that I just don't recall.  :)) I wouldn't put these in the JI Co bin just yet. The legs are also different than the one I have a picture for.

Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand