No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Toso Bowl - Aureliano or Fratelli Toso? Possibly Dino Martens? ID = AVeM  (Read 4288 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
I love this little bowl.  The quality is extraordinary. (Hopefully the detail comes through in my photos.)    I didn't see the form in my Dino Martens book, but to my eye it looks like Aureliano Toso.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Charles.

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Toso Bowl - Aureliano or Fratelli Toso? Possibly Dino Martens?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 12:25:28 PM »
Wow, what a beauty!  It looks like it might have been an apprentice piece to demonstrate all the different types of latticino.  My first ever piece of glass was a vine leaf in latticino and I still love it 30 years on.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »
Can't reliably help you ID it, but I like it very much and have certainly seen other very similar pieces ID'd as AVEM in the past.  Look at this item 236, http://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/16340/page3 for an AVEM attribution - practically identical!  Only problem is, is it a correct attribution!

Veronica

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 05:38:11 PM »
Veronica is right. It is AVeM. I've seen one with a label.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 06:48:11 PM »
Thanks very much, everyone!  The picture from the auction really says it all.  Great news, since I paid good money for this piece (over $100).  It's nice to own AVEM, nicer still if it is (in fact) designed by Martens.  I do note at figure 63, page 37 of the Dino Martens book a piece in this "stacked candy cane" (my term) pattern ("Centro da Tavola Bizzaro").  Hope springs eternal.  ;)

Charles.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 08:03:12 PM »
I always feel like I'm raining on parades. Dino probably had nothing to do with the design, although his latticino pieces may have inspired the AVeM pieces. A few years back, Martens' name was linked to some of the AVeM pieces because of a mention in a book that a tuti-frutti pieces possibly was designed by him. The latticino bowls look a bit like some of his designs, so I believe they were lumped into the Martens attribution mix. I haven't seen any evidence that he did design them.

AVeM did many thing that looked a lot like Martens' pieces. IMO, their Martens-like pieces are very good. I actually prefer their Oriente to Martens', but I am probably alone with my preference. The AVeM Oriente is neater. :)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 08:56:42 PM »
Anita is correct about the ugly tutti frutti bowls being passed off as Martens.  Not even close.  Mine has some design quality that makes me think it's a candidate for Martens, although definitive proof may be hard.  Martens did have some "signature" techniques and I have not seen these stacked ropes before in Murano glass. And there is that piece in the Martens book that I mentioned in my last post.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 11:35:29 AM »
I have to agree with Anita on this one.  I recognize the latticino as being AVeM also.  AVeM's latticino has aventurine around it.

tam bam 

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 02:26:23 PM »
I wanted to add one more thing.  Not only did AVeM produce zanfirico (referenced the in my last post as latticino, sorry wasn't fully awake yet. lol) with the aventurine around it but so did Archimede Seguso.  I feel that your piece is made by AVeM though especially if Anita has seen another just like it with a label.  I just wanted to point out that Archimede Seguso did the same with some of his zanfirico. 

tam bam 

Offline Jurgen

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 03:22:41 PM »
Hi all................I also think AVEM................................Jerry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand