No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Weird striped 'beaky' vase - ID = Dekor Etsning Kosta  (Read 4249 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Weird striped 'beaky' vase
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 08:52:48 PM »
I have seen this shape vase before, as a friend bought one in an antique mall in Seattle and showed it to me. It had definite age wear and is quality glass, so I would not look too far from where you are for origins. His was shorter than the dimensions you give, but identical shape, decor and colors. It was also unsigned. I did locate, at that time, an attribution on Great-Glass.co.uk which attributes it as unsigned Hadeland.  It is the only image of the piece I have ever located or seen, until I saw yours. I do not know the accuracy of the attribution, but here is a link to the page it is on. I would comment that there are attribution errors in the "Austro-Bohemian" section..... so the same may be true on the Scandinavian pages.....  but it is the same piece....

http://www.great-glass.co.uk/library/lib5a.htm

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 09:55:49 PM »
Oddly, in following another post, I came across the following link. 7th topic down the page is the same shape/color vase. They are also looking for an ID I believe, but they do comment that the base is marked DEK 525. Maybe that will point in the right direction....

http://www.precisensan.com/antikforum/showthread.php?t=8311

Craig

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 10:47:18 PM »
Craig, you are a star! Two examples as well. :hiclp:

In the following post it is claimed that DEK is an abbreviation for Dekor Etsning Kosta or (in English) Decorative Etching Kosta - apparently a forerunner to Sea Glasbruk.

Very interesting.

John

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 11:41:15 PM »
I have to be really honest here.... the first one, now seeming more likely than ever to be an incorrect attribution....   :thup:  is only because I seem to have a really good visual memory for things I see like this (most of the time) when I see them. When I saw this example I remembered where I had seen the picture before....

It is my memory that has really helped me with my research through the years.....

The second example, the marked one.... was pure and simple dumb luck.....   :huh:

Thanks though.... "Star" does sound better......   :thup:

Craig

Offline Bonsaismurf

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
If you google "goose neck vase" there's also a nice example at :
http://www.modernistglass.com/glasspieces/view/2715

Best Regards
Emil

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 11:59:18 AM »
Thanks Emile, so it seems a design originally made by DEK that I assume they continued when they merged and become Sea Glasbruk.

Thanks again everyone!

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand