No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Apple anyone?  (Read 1016 times)

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
Apple anyone?
« on: September 19, 2010, 07:41:45 PM »
I'm wondering if we can tell where this one comes from.  Judging from where I got it I have good reason to doubt it's Asian but I don't know for sure.

It's about 3-1/4 tall and wide (8 cm tall and wide), including stem.  The base pontil area is ground lightly concave and polished.   The bubbles are fairly consistent with good control.  I haven't seen a stem just like it. 

Thanks, Buck

Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Apple anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 08:54:21 PM »

I can't really help on origin, I'm afraid - some of these are Chinese, some are not. But the 'control' on the bubbles will always look good on these designs, because the bubbles arise from pressing the gather of glass into a 'pineapple' mould that makes lots of little regular indentations. When these are covered with another layer of glass, you get a tiny bubble at each indentation - all in very regular positions. No real magic or special skill involved, I'm sorry to say.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 09:22:20 PM »
Thanks for the insight Alan.  I was talking with someone that makes PWs that uses a tool with steel spikes, similar to a steel flower frog - actually was an old flower frog I believe, to make bubbles.  Not sure exactly how he uses it.

Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 11:45:09 PM »
I would say the nicer base on your red apple rules out a Chinese origin while the concave base may rule out it being Murano.  That's the best I can do.  The red inside part of your apple looks different than others I have seen which have been a solid clear color (if that makes any sense).  Alan, I did not know how the bubbles were so neatly created.  Very interesting!

Lily

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand