No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: worthless but gorgeous (imho - I know...beauty is in the eye of and all that)  (Read 3974 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
chipped in two places on the rim, with additional fleabites but oh my, I just absolutely love this vase.  I'm on a no spending spree  ;D but since it only cost me 20p....
I can't stop staring at it.  Satin finish with a slight iridescent sheen the colours are my all time favourites.
I'm always amazed these look so delicate but are quite substantial glass. 
m

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
20p...? Crikey you can't even buy a bag of chips for that! :) Bargain I say!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Great Czech piece.... Fabulous color combo.....

Craig

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline ahremck

• Members
All you need is one of those nice pressed metal flower holders of the right size and , voila, no chips to be seen!!!!!

I too love the bright colours

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
please, where do you buy *anything* for 20p? charity shops in London are ridiculously over-priced and I have no idea of any decent car boot sales
Julie

Offline glasseyed

• Members
    • England
    • Bridges Antiques
Love it :rah:

I'm glad you rescued it  ;D

Hazel
Hazel

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
 :thup: :hiclp: Beautiful....very nice.  Great shopper, and Good eye.  Czech Right??

I am  :mrgreen: with envy
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline yesvil

• Members
please, where do you buy *anything* for 20p? charity shops in London are ridiculously over-priced and I have no idea of any decent car boot sales

I know what you mean about charity shops but I guess we are not their ideal customer and I like to think that their high prices do good.

If you want some bargains get out of town at the weekend, I could direct you to loads of car-boots in Northants, Beds, & Herts where 20p is Normal but remember to get those best pieces you have to get there for 6am!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
glad you all like it   

I have a grill for it as well, but I like it without, despite it's chips (Anne lol, 20p wont get you a bag, it'll only buy you three or four chips in this instance ;D)

I love the fact that it is old yet has such fab colours - whoever decided to use those colours was truly individual and ahead of their time as it were.
ju1i3, I have to be honest I never see things for 20p, it isn't commonplace down here certainly.  I also really see very little coloured glass any more, mostly pressed pieces which I don't collect, so it's not too difficult maintaining my no spending thing at the mo :)

m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Where are you located??

The color combination is quite unique and falls in line with the palette of colors I am finding that Welz used...  Here is an example in a different decor that is similarly stark in color contrast....  The blue is not as translucent as your piece, but the color palette is the same....  and as an overall I have found many pieces of their production I have identified to be similarly interesting color combinations.

Would it be OK if I catalog your image and possibly use it on the website we are building if I can link it to Welz for sure?

Do you think the grill you have is original to the piece, or a replacement?

Craig

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand