No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tudor Crystal bowl signed J Lloyd  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Tudor Crystal bowl signed J Lloyd
« on: September 20, 2010, 10:12:52 AM »
I've been and collected my Tudor crystal bowl engraved by Jack Lloyd, and as she was wrapping it the seller made a remark about the grapes being 'different', but didn't explain what she meant!  :huh: 

Anyone who knows Jack Lloyd's work care to comment or give a clue as to what she might have meant?   :spls:
Leni

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Tudor Crystal bowl signed J Lloyd
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
I'm not that familiar with bunches of grapes, but I can't help thinking that these ones of yours are actually hanging from stalks and stick-y bits, not floating in mid-air as do most!
Fabby photos, Leni - I'm seriously struggling to try to do some cut stuff myself right now - so I was able to compare your bunches with mine. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 07:56:54 PM »
Nice one Leni  :rah:

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 09:17:35 PM »
Thank you both  ;)  Yes Sue, the grapes do in fact hang from "stalks and stick-y bits"  :D  It's one of the things I liked about this engraving.  I tend to avoid the basic 'grapes on a vine' engraving, as it usually feels a bit clichéd and 'lazy' to me, but these are really beautifully done!  However, because I don't have many examples of grapes, and certainly no other examples of Jack Lloyd's work, I'm still wondering exactly what the seller meant about the grapes being 'different'!  :huh:  

Edit:

I've just looked back to the thread about Tudor crystal here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,35810.0.html 

Scrolling down to the end, it looks to me as if, in Ming's last picture of the Tudor glass engraved by Jack Lloyd with three images on it, the final picture shows a bowl of fruit with bunches of grapes which look very like the grapes on my bowl!   :D
Leni

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 10:22:15 PM »
Leni

Your bowl look o.k. to me. In fact l have the same pattern except its a wine glass. Also signed J. Lloyd on the bowl.
The grapes look different being they seems to hang in the air. But if you look carefully enough you can the stalk holding the grapes is actually interruped by the horitzontal line cuttings.

Your bowl was made post war by J.Lloyd. Better example of his works was made pre-war and the base just marked Tudor without Made in England. If you have one in your hand you will be able to see the different. I forntunately have two of his pre-war glasses.

Ming

Never walk away from a bargain

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 07:23:30 AM »
Thank you for that information, Ming  :) 

I envy you your early Lloyd glasses!  :mrgreen:  But I do consider myself lucky to have a piece signed by him anyway  ;D   

Thanks again  :thup:
Leni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand