No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Brutus 10 inch - second?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline wayan

• Members
Brutus 10 inch - second?
« on: September 20, 2010, 05:43:07 PM »
Hi all, hope you can advise me on a recent purchase of a 10 inch Brutus vase which I purchased to make up a pair.
The new one has been made with considerably more glass than the first ( 1120 g vs 895g )
As a result, the bottom is thicker, but more to the point, the overall glass finish is rippled with an almost wood grain finish vs a conventional smooth finish I have on other Brutus vases.

To me, I do not have an aesthetic pair and wondering if my new acquisition is a second?

The opinion of the board would be appreciated!

Many thanks

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Brutus 10 inch - second?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 06:27:09 PM »
hello wayan.    Forgive my ignorance - I've never before heard of a 'Brutus vase', but would have thought that if your later purchase contained something a tad over 25% more glass than the first, then there was something amiss :)     Are you not able to post some pictures of these vases for comparison? :)

Offline wayan

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 06:50:34 PM »
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply.

It is quite a difference in weight  hence I believe the rippling effect was caused and in my view not a normal variation.

Its a Wegwood Frank Thrower design in three sizes ( I believe) 6/8 /10 inch

This post has photos but also trying to upload mine - apologies if it does not work ( first time etc!)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,35174.msg190569.html#msg190569

Offline wayan

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 06:51:31 PM »
oops - only one photo
heres another!?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum