No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vaseline/Uranium EAPG ?  (Read 2115 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Vaseline/Uranium EAPG ?
« on: December 18, 2005, 01:06:17 PM »
I have been to my last carboot of the year, and found some lovely items.

I don't think this is British, and I wondered if it might be American, but have got no books on this sort of glass, apart from a Vaseline glass book, which has something similar but not the same, and dated about 1880.

The tray decoration is reapeated around the glasses, swirl and little dots, and it really glows bright green under UV light.

http://tinypic.com/iqa1cp.jpg

http://tinypic.com/iqa39h.jpg

Am I in the right direction/country?

Mod: The images from this post have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Barbara

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Vaseline/Uranium EAPG ?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 01:52:11 PM »
I don't recognize this as an American pattern, but hopefully Mr. Vaseline glass will shed some light on it. Great set. Terry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
Vaseline/Uranium EAPG ?
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 02:24:35 PM »
I can point you in the right direction, but I don't know who made it.  I see about 2 to 3 sets a month on eBay-France.  Here is one right now that is live:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6589638069

They wander over here to the US once in a while and if they make it here, bring about $150-200 if they are in a shop.  If you are able to narrow it down (I don't speak or read French) or ever figure out who made it, please let us know.  

good guesses are Vallerysthal, Portieux, Scailmont (in nearby Belgium).  I don't think any of the pieces are marked and all three listed were good at marking at least one or two pieces in a pattern.

Dave

Offline BJB

• Members
Vaseline/Uranium EAPG ?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 05:02:11 PM »
Dave,

You are a star, I would never have thought of French or Belgium :oops:  I'll be listing it in the New Year despite it only having 5 glasses, with a picture of it glowing under the UV light :lol:

I took O'level French but it was a VERY long time ago, and it was one of those lessons I remember the teacher, Miss C Holland, who frightened me to death, but I can't remember the language for the life of me.

Barbara

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasswipe

• Members
Vaseline/Uranium EAPG ?
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 02:44:57 PM »
Hi Barbara.I've been away with computer trouble.When I saw your post I had to reply,We have eight of these glasses and one tray all uranium.
We bought the glasses at Lincolnshire showground antiques fair and the tray at Swinderby.
The tray was sold to us as the base for a large biscuit box.
Now I have seen Mr Vaselineglasses post It was obviously tray/decanter and glasses.
Happy new year to all, from Kay.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand