No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Yoichi Ohira De Majo Murano..  (Read 5026 times)

Offline shineyobjects

• Members
Yoichi Ohira De Majo Murano..
« on: September 22, 2010, 06:10:59 PM »
I was lucky enough to come close to this glass by Yoichi Ohira, I thought I would share it with you it's from 1990.

I have no idea how much it was worth, I know they are worth between 3.5k-7.5k dollars depending on the piece. I would like to see what your views on it is.

Enjoy  ;D

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Yoichi Ohira De Majo Murano..
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 07:32:45 PM »
I am a big fan of Ohira. This is the simplest piece that I have seen by him. I didn't realize that he had made anything for De Majo. Everything I have seen by them to do has been lighting. This is a double first for me. Does the glass have any eccentricities that don't show up on the pictures? My own thought is that if I paid big money, I would hold out for some of his more complex pieces. He does masterful work.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline shineyobjects

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 07:59:03 PM »
The glass seems faultless.
It's very simple for his work but I did find one another simple design like it again which was for De majo in 1991 through a google search. I would post the link but i'm not sure if I would be allowed as its for sell or was for sell...

"He started working in Murano with the well-known companies Fucina degli Angeli and the Vetreria de Majo.
His first individual works for Fucina were sculptural in nature. In 1987, he started working for Vetreria de Majo. That same year he was awarded the Premio Selezione by the city of Murano. In 1990, he designed a series of thirty goblets, goblets that were exhibited in the Palazzo Querini Stampalia. Rosa Barovier Mentasti wrote of this work: “Ohira’s creative sensitivity can be retraced to his studies and affection for Murano’s historic traditions, its fine blownglass and exquisite hues, the refined techniques of local maestri. While Venetian colors are filtered through oriental harmonies, the study of antique styles has led to the highlighting of essential elements in traditional models, thereby fostering the invention of new proportions in post-modern works."

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:23:03 PM »
I really do not have anything to add, but wanted to say that it is FABULOUS! :rah:  Sometimes simple vessels make BIG statements.  I love it!

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:31:25 PM »

Offline shineyobjects

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 08:41:28 PM »
Yep! thats the one! Thats the most simplicist design I could find by Yoichi Ohira on the internet. I just wish I had his book now!

Another one with the same markings underneath was http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/353229 but this was a decanter from 1990 another simple design nothing like his later work.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 12:44:46 AM »
I looked at the decanters for De Majo on Antique Helper. They are gorgeous. I have seen much of his complex opaque work, but this is the first I've seen of his transparent glass. Thank you for posting the information on him. I knew nothing of his history beyond his talk of his love for glass that brought him to Murano.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 10:38:21 PM »
Hi, I can confirm that Ohira had a cooperation as designer with De Majo several years ago.
Very simple and light bowls and goblets too.
Everything very, very different for style, shape and techniques from the actual works of Ohira.
Honestly I think that the value of these "old" pieces are very very lower of your extimation. The pieces are nice, but very (too) simple.
I'm not sure at 100% (I will ask directly one day), but I can suppose that some of the DeMajo-Ohira's pieces were blown by Davide Fuin; his studio was inside the De Majo factory and he works with that technique and colors.

Alex
www.artofvenice.com

Offline shineyobjects

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 10:06:01 AM »
Hi alex, thanks for that great info I'm new to glass so I'm no expert here. How much would you value it at? Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand