No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Registration number 543290 help please  (Read 2561 times)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Re: Registration number help please
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 09:14:04 PM »
I've a complete blank on that discussion on w/f.com............but this doesn't look the right colour apart from the number.............

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 09:36:10 PM »
Astonishingly, neither of the two Whitefriars reference books contains a list of design registrations, patents, and registered trade marks.    It's where you start with research, and the two museum-trained authors should have known this and done it.   Timberlake, Reynolds, Gulliver, Cottle, Stewart & Stewart, Bowey & Parsons, and even Williams-Thomas, none of them museum professionals, all did it, properly.

So far I've found eight Whitefriars design registrations in the period 1890 to 1945, none of which I've ever seen marked on their glass.   543290 is not a Whitefriars registration, but that of a London designer.   The vase was certainly made by Whitefriars — Jackson lists it as pattern 916 — and they made it in two sizes, but it could have been made by others, so, to be certain of a Whitefriars attribution, you should check the registration on the base with a known Whitefriars example for a match on the lettering.

The standard reference on this design registration is Gulliver, p.86.   There is no need to plagiarise Mervyn Gulliver's work here as anyone seriously interested in British glass will own or have access to a copy of this important publication.   If not, please buy one or borrow it from your library.

Note that I don't comment on live ebay listings.   My comments here are on a registered design.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 06:28:40 AM »
There is one interesting major difference between the one in Gulliver and the ebay listing. The Gulliver one was made in a 16-rib mould. The ebay one is rib-free, which implies a different manufacturer to me. The engraving also may be in a different hand.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 07:49:45 AM »
Christine — The Jackson one (same size, 7", as the Gulliver example) was made in a 20-rib (or, possibly, 22-rib) dip mould, and I'm now suffering from eye strain!   :spls:

The number of ribs, including no ribs, could have been dependant on a variety of factors, including:
  • Who was making it,
  • What dip moulds were to hand or available,
  • What type of glass was being used, and
  • Any preference expressed by an important trade buyer.

• I would go for one or more of these before regarding such differences as indicative of a different manufacturer.

Note that the blue book doesn't list this registration, so it's probably not a glass registration, and may have been intended originally for manufacture in metal and/or pottery/china, although I've never found one.

Bernard C.  8)

... later ...   Bonhams example here, large size again, has 20 or 22 ribs.
    Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
    • Global Moderator
    • Members
    • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
      • Glass trinket sets
      • Cumbria England
      • My Glass Collection
    « Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 01:12:47 PM »
    TC has a ribbed one with the same RD no on it - discussed here some years ago: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,16536.0.html - he shows a closeup of the number on his too, so it can be compared with the eBay one. :thup:
    Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
    ~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
     ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
      • Warrington, UK
      • My Gallery
    « Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 06:56:22 PM »
    This is one like the one Emmi asked about. And it's definitely uranium

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand