No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is it worth re-polishing damaged Mdina wt.  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
is it worth re-polishing damaged Mdina wt.
« on: September 24, 2010, 07:37:35 PM »
Could be wrong, but looking at the nature and location of the damage, it may be that the guy who was working on the unpolished window slipped possibly at the rough grinding process, and the the wheel/disc. whatever ran up the curve of the wt.   Made some effort at polishing out the mistake, but seems to have given up before curing the problem.      Appears to have thought it was  worth selling so stuck the label on and the piece then sold.    The polished window (foot?) shows 'Mdina  07 (then underneath)  81 - 001'.       So does this mean made in 2007 with a code No. of 81- 001?  I cost me very little, so unless worth an arm and a proverbial, probably not worth having professionally cleaned up  - or is it?.   diameter is about 96mm - 3.7/8".    Would appreciate anyone's thoughts, and thanks for looking :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: is it worth re-polishing damaged Mdina wt.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 07:27:49 AM »

I would be surprised if spending £20 or so to get the weight polished added £20 to its sale price: in my experience these basic Mdina pieces are 'charity shop/car boot' items, which sell for single figure prices (ie £3 - £8) when in very good condition.  So getting it polished would probably be equivalent to tearing up a £20 note. But if you really like it, and want it restored to perfection, it is not overly expensive to do it.

In general, I don't think it is worth repolishing the majority of Mdina, Strathearn, Murano, Chinese, or any low value weights, just in order to make them saleable: the figures don't stack up.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: is it worth re-polishing damaged Mdina wt.
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 08:06:23 AM »
many thanks for your advice Alan :)    I don't in fact ever sell my glass, so a re-sale value would never be something I consider.   I know less than nothing about wts., and wasn't sure if this was a common piece or rarity - and before I possibly shoved it back into a charity shop just wanted to make sure I wasn't binning something of real interest.   I quite like it, and may in fact use it to practise re-polishing glass.     thanks again. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand