No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cameo wine glass bought in the USA - who made it  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Cameo wine glass bought in the USA - who made it
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 12:35:55 AM »
I've been trawling through various cameo glass images and finding nothing like it, not even on sites such as http://www.glaskilian.de/ and  http://www.glaswolf.de/ which carry all sorts of wine glasses or even eBay! I've only managed to find one set of cameo wines anywhere, and they were listed as "Richard branded" and "probably Loetz, but look nothing like this one. Are cameo wines not common then?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 10:06:54 AM »
I had a good search too, lots of cameo wines around but nothing quite like this.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline thomas

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 06:43:26 PM »
I was wondering if maybe the reason there's no information around on this glass is because it's actually a more recent glass - like post World War II or even 1960's or early 70's.  The early glasses I've seen have fancier stems and the stem on this glass seems awfully plain.  The workmanship on the bowl is excellent but for all I know they have computer controlled lasers that can make this glass in about 30 seconds.  And there's a lot of cameo glass around.  If you have 50 bucks in your pocket, you can buy a Galle vase that's guaranteed to be genuine!  In my opinion, it'll be a pretty hideous vase but then "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", if you'll pardon the tired old cliche.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 09:44:32 PM »
Thomas, I found a piece of Kralik cameo in this colour that is a similar ish decor here
Mod: Link removed as content changed to inappropriate site
However, it is a rose bowl, and looks to be fairly matt.  I can't see your decor closely enough to see whether or not it is similar (the outlines of the leaves etc) or whether yours is quite sheeny on the outer layer, so I don't know whether the similarities are limited to colour and subject if you see what I mean?
Your wine glass looks to be beautifully made...not sure if my link helps at all or not but it might be something to go on?
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 01:15:41 PM »
I recently bought a fairly contemporary Cameo vase, by this maker, Ramski Art Glass - who might be worth investigating?
(suggestion by Flying-free.  :thup:  )
http://www.ramski.org/index2.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline thomas

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 11:09:25 PM »
The Kralik piece is definitely similar in color and subject matter.  The surface of my glass is not mat but it isn't high gloss either - it has some sheen.  I thought the base was flat but I checked and it has a polished indentation.  The suggestion of the new Ramski glass is a possibility.  I have had the glass for 25 to 30 years so it couldn't be later than the 70's or very early 80's.  I don't think it's that new but I did wonder about that possibility.  I took some photos at night using only the light in the top of the display case to see if by shining through the glass the details would show up better.

Offline thomas

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2011, 11:12:02 PM »
Last two photos.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 11:24:20 PM »
It is gorgeous Thomas...great pictures!   the details show off much better now.  The indented mark on the base is the polished pontil mark.
I shall go and have further searches  ;D to see if I can find any others similar.
m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 11:26:15 AM »
My Ramski piece is not nearly as complex as your glass, or as many of the contemporary pieces shown on the website, but it does have the not-completely-shiney-glass sheen on the top part as your glass does. My bit is dated October '92.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 09:12:33 PM »
wondering if there is any possibility the cameo wine glass might be Josef Riedel?
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand