No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two questions - did Loetz or Kralik use gold ID = Loetz Astglas,Dark Heliotrope  (Read 5186 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
..inside crackle glass?  And would I find this in Astglas decor for example?
Also I have not found any Astglas in blue - has anyone else seen an example in blue please?
I have a vase/bowl that has absolutely loads of gold 'speckles' in  it - I'm not sure how to describe it but it reminds me of Italian pieces I have seen - looks like someone has gone made with a glitter tube and some is sprinkles and some splodges but all very subtle. I feel it is Bohemian but have not been able to find any examples that have this.
I've searched for ages for this one, but it is very difficult to see detail on the net.
Many thanks for your help.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jinxi

• Members
Re: Two questions - did Loetz or Kralik use gold ....
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 08:36:47 PM »
Any chance of posting a photo - sounds stunning!

Veronica

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 08:52:16 PM »
struggling to get pics to look representative as it all reflects everywhere!
It has a polished pontil mark as shown in base shot with gold.
6 inches wide by 4 1/2 inches and 3 1/2 inches high.  It is open crackle i.e. uncased (sorry finding it hard to describe it) but isn't 'rough', however I'm sure it's not a pattern impressed, it's definitely blown crackle.
thank you for looking
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 08:54:24 PM »
two more pics

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 09:55:36 PM »
Absolutely stunning - reminds me of this http://www.barovier.com/s_company/museo_itemdet.asp?idprod=146 but pretty sure its not!  Have you tried sending a photo to the very helpful Loetz team?  Might be worth a try! 

Best of luck with your quest

Veronica

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 10:12:30 PM »
thanks for the fabulous link Veronica  - gorgeous pieces on there. 
No I haven't asked yet.  I've been determinedly trying to id this myself, but I've finally given up the ghost.  I think it could be Loetz astglas but it isn't signed (well not one I can find) and I thought it would be if it were given the timeline (though I might have read that incorrectly).  And I can't find an example in this colour.  I have found a piece that is simply attributed as uranium crackle that looks incredibly similar though, also I think a Loetz piece (if I remember correctly - I've looked for so long I may be confused) .
And frustratingly  I can't find a shape match either. 
m

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 10:27:02 PM »
Hi again, there was a query posted yesterday headed 'New vase don't even know what to call the technique' or similar - not the same but similar and may give you some pointers to other possibile avenues of research!

Veronica

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 10:38:50 PM »
thanks - yes I did look at that thread and it's probably what prompted me to post this in the end.
I have been through every decor on the Loetz site and I think I must have looked at every picture on the net of any of the noted Bohemian glassmakers  vases :thud: and the nearest I can get is Astglas, however all the pics I have seen have been gold or orange and I can't get a clear close look at the detail of the crackle.

Glaskilian is a favourite site of mine as well - lovely glass on there and a great library of examples. 
I haven't looked at Leerdam or Maastricht though, but I'm not sure that feels right.  I'll go and have a pootle round and see what I can find.
thanks again.
m

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 10:57:04 PM »
Meant to add to the other listing the possibility of Moser - looked at an old auction catalogue yesterday and a piece caught my eye which was Moser by Leuchars who had come from Leerdam (I think) and worked on technically complex pieces in this line. That particular piece was signed - I don't know whether they all are but a possible other avenue to explore! 

Veronica

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 11:21:00 PM »
Hi there,

I have copied a couple of your images and am sending them out to the group working with me on the website for thoughts. I will let you know if anyone has an ID. 

What about the underside? A pontil? Polished or rough ground?  As far as Loetz signatures go, most is not signed, most examples that you see that are signed are not true Loetz sigs.  As a matter of fact, if I see a description of a piece that says it is signed, I am almost always immediately suspicious.

Interesting piece....  I think definitely Czech/Bohemian.....  The closeups do having a striking similarity in some ways to Astglas. Astglass was produced in three colors. Candia (Gold or light Amber colored), Orange, and a color referenced as dark Heliotrope, which would fall in the color range of a dark blue. I have personally never seen an example..... I have never seen an example of Astglas with aventurine/mica in it though.

I'll let you know what everyone says.... 

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand