No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two questions - did Loetz or Kralik use gold ID = Loetz Astglas,Dark Heliotrope  (Read 5175 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Two questions - did Loetz or Kralik use gold ....
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 11:27:25 PM »
Thank you Craig.  The pontil mark is polished and I've shown it as best I can is as per the base shot showing the gold.
the shape is more difficult to show, it  bulges out front and back and to the sides.  It's a great shape, very tactile piece as it isn't oval.  Hard to explain  ::)  but I'll try and do another shot of the base and shape.  There are six pulls on the rim.  Two front and back and one each side.
The only other thing I could come up with was Durand where the crackle looks similar, but  a) that seems to be (I couldn't find many examples though) a colour on white which this isn't b) I couldn't see if the examples had gold in them and c) none had pulled rims.  
These pics are taken without a flash under evening light as that stops the reflections.  The orangey colour you see is the gold.  The pontil mark is the best I can do I'm afraid.
thanks again.
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 04:58:46 AM »
Super Vase !!!!!!  :hiclp: :hiclp:

I know nothing at all - and any search that I did -- all I could  find (kinda) close was Loetz Papillon or Kralik Crackele.....and these are *only* guesses.....

:spls: :pb:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 06:07:02 AM »
Hello, I am thrilled to tell you that what you have is a piece of Loetz Astglas in Dark Heliotrope.  It is a decor which is quite rare. I had never seen an image of, or an example of the decor before, but it was confirmed to be such by a member of our group.  Great find, and a real treasure.

I would love some large format images of the piece for use on the site!!  I checked several of my references and I could not find an image of it anywhere.

It was not until I re-read the description of the decor in the English edition of Cantz before posting earlier ,that I became aware that it also came in blue.  

I am :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Congratulations

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 07:26:40 AM »
Delighted for you and delighted myself to have seen photos of something I shall probably never see again!

Just take care of it!

Veronica

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 11:06:04 AM »
P.S. Just out of interest, I had been watching this ebay listing the other week, now finished, a bit of damage, so I didn't bid, but have a look at ebay number 250697371794

Also, a lot of gold, so is this the same, Astglas, but in a different colour?

Veronica

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 01:55:54 PM »
 :thud:  :o Craig what can I say ...
...thank you so much and thanks also to whoever id'd it for me at your end :hug: I'm thrilled.
I've now carefully taken it out of the Wii playing sitting room and children's reach and put it away.
I will take some high res images for you of course - do I just resize them to make them larger before sending them do you know?
Many thanks again
m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 04:05:19 PM »
Veronica, the auction you referenced is not Astglas in a different color. I am ot sure what it is, but it is not a Loetz piece.

M, I will send you an email....  I am very happy for you.....  It is a fabulous piece of glass....

I also wanted to add that even in the Loetz Musterschnitte there are only around 5000 of the 50,000+ known shapes shown. I looked there to see if I could identify the shape and could not....

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline jinxi

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 05:07:56 PM »
Thank you Craig, just interested to hear what you had to say!

Veronica

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 11:33:42 PM »
 :hiclp: :chky: :hiclp: :chky:  :hiclp: :thup:

Good For you....and for me to have a Chance to be able to see it.  CONGRATS!!   Glad to hear the ID on it.....and least I was (sort of ??) looking in the same direction....as a (guess...).  Again Congrats  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Super Vase !!!!!!  :hiclp: :hiclp:    I know nothing at all - and any search that I did -- all I could  find (kinda) close was Loetz Papillon or Kralik Crackele.....and these are *only* guesses.....

I was just trying to help IF I could. 

Again Congrats !!!!!

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 11:32:13 AM »
Lovely piece, but just one small but important point. The glitter is not gold; it's copper. Aventurine is made by putting copper powder in molten glass and then breaking the cold glass into chips for marvering on to an item. Aventurine is not really workable for use on its own.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand