No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Two questions - did Loetz or Kralik use gold ID = Loetz Astglas,Dark Heliotrope  (Read 5180 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Two questions - did Loetz or Kralik use gold ....
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 06:24:44 PM »
thanks Christine.  I have been reading lots of posts about the use of avventurine and gold leaf and dust etc.  and looked carefully at this bowl before I posted.  I'm not totally sure that it is avventurine (unless of course the photo taken in the dark to show the splodges as orangey indicates they are copper rather than gold as gold leaf/foil wouldn't show up that colour taken without a flash?  Does avventurine break up into what looks literally like glitter sprinkles all in the glass? it is all over not just where the splodges are and it literally is little sprinkles.  It doesn't look the same as my avventurine Nason box, but does look similar to the large red Murano bowl I have that I honestly don't think is avventurine but is gold foil/leaf - intrigued -  I'll do another compare later.
thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2010, 07:30:18 PM »
It's aventurine; read Craig's post.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 08:23:56 PM »
Thanks Christine :) I had originally named my pics avventurine but wasn't sure if that was right.
I've done some other close ups. (mods please feel free to delete if too many pics on this thread :-[  )

m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2010, 08:57:37 PM »
The closeup images, to me, definitely appear to be Aventurine, or copper.

It also exhibits the common little "clusters" found using Aventurine, as it is produced as a separate component and used as an ingredient when making a piece.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
After I'd posted this thread I carefully put this vase away and haven't looked at it since.  However, just before Christmas I bought a beautiful vase that I also didn't want to have out.  For Christmas OH surprised me and  bought me a glass cabinet with light in so I could put my 'precious' pieces on display safely (I think he's given in to my glass obsession  ;D ).
We made the unit this weekend and I finally got the vase out again.  I think I've managed to take much better pictures of it.  It looks fantastic out on display now  :)

m

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I love this piece.... It is nice you have it out to be enjoyed now..... 

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you  :)  There's something to be said for putting glass away and not seeing it for over a year.  It was like having a new piece of glass all over again.  Also now I appreciate a little more about the glass making process etc (and can actually recognise aventurine now lol) , I think I love it more than when I first saw it. 
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand