No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: iridescent jip - ID = Colin Green at Alum Bay, Isle of Wight  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
iridescent jip - ID = Colin Green at Alum Bay, Isle of Wight
« on: September 25, 2010, 07:44:41 PM »
typical lazy person's lament  -  'oh, I think I've seen this somewhere, but I've forgotten where'  -  meaning can everyone else do the looking for me. :)    But I'm sure I have, probably in the heart foundation or similar.    Thought I was going to be able to scratch the iridescence off, but it is the real thing -  and snapped off pontil which has been left slightly sharp.  about 9.5"/240mm tall.   It is obviously modern, and am thinking Chinese, although attractive, and I don't remember seeing shed loads of these before.   thanks for looking. :)    Paul S.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: iridescent jip possibly Chinese
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 12:08:53 AM »
Paul, I think it is a beautiful vase. I like the finish. I don't think it is Chinese. It has a North American look to me.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 03:16:16 AM »
Hi Paul S.  I think your vase is stunning too  :thup:  I do not think it is  :or: IMHO -- Way Too nice.  Is this what (might) be referred to as Iridescent Orient flume ??

Guess here:  ~ Steuben Glass ??

It is so pretty, as you sure there is not the mark L C T (as in Tiffany) is not on it....?????
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 06:25:56 PM »
Anita and Rose  -  sincere thanks for your suggestions.   You're right, of course,it is very attractive, although probably not my cup of tea, and if it is from your side of the water, then maybe someone else will recognize it.  I stabbed rather quickly with the oriental attribution, but to be honest I don't know if they have been producing pieces with this sort of iridescence in recent times, and must admit I didn't look in the books before I posted :-[     The similarity to LCT's 'Favrile' or Steuben's
'Blue Aurene' is apparent - although I don't really think it has that sort of age, unfortunately (with the iridescence it's difficult to assess age - although don't think it was made yesterday).   My books, although showing a fair few examples of States and Continental pieces don't unfortunately show any base pics.  What appears to be a slightly highlighted thin shiny trailing seems to come closest to some of the Durand pieces.    However, I'm sure it is nothing so auspiscious as those factories.    Thanks again. :)
P.S.  Do I assume 'flume' being the process, Rose?   and no, can't see LCT on its bottom ;)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 07:10:04 PM »
Orient and Flume are a Californian art glass studio: http://www.orientandflume.com/ who, amongst other beauties, make iridescent vases, Paul. See Vases and Small Vases links on the website.

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 09:07:25 PM »
Paul this is a lovely site for looking at jack in the pulpit examples as well and has some wonderful info.

Link removed by request of poster - Mod
   :)

I love your vase as well - incredibly pretty and I bet it looks beautiful under evening lighting.

m

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 06:12:45 AM »
Re: The Link Given Above

There have been known incidents of plagiarism from David Issitt in the past, so we recommend caution when viewing or recommending any of his work.

See also:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1830.0.html
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,266.0.html

I am not a man

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 12:34:47 PM »
ooh my goodness!  Could the mods very kindly please remove my response then?
Many thanks
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 12:47:36 PM »
thanks to Max and m.   In fact I have a feeling that there is a word in the line of text from Max that actually implies the opposite of what is really meant ;)   However, I do know what Max is drawing attention to, and can assure you that in view of your warning of caution, will not make any recommendations that might incur anything which lacked integrity.
Am at work (where else would I be on a Monday :'()  - so can't reply more fully just at the moment.     Thanks again to both of you.  :)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 01:08:10 PM »
I have a couple of Alum Bay Glass vases which are JIPs (one is beautifully iridised). The base on them is rather like yours, Paul, in that the iridescence covers the base and the pontil is roughly broken and not smoothed off.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand