Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > British & Irish Glass

John Barrable

<< < (2/4) > >>

Anne:
I assume it's signed? Can you show us a good clear closeup of the signature please? And some more shots of the vase against a plain white background would help too. Thanks. :)

jal:
  Hi Anne, I dont think it's signed, although you could make the marks on base look like JB, with artistic licence.
  Further pictures encl.  Front--Close up --Base.
  Best regards, J.

jal:

Whoops, it was meant to be:-

aa:
I met him in the eighties when he was a mature student who graduated from the late lamented International Glass Centre at Dudley. I don't know what happened to him though.

jal:
I have just contacted Richard Golding ref above.     His edited comments are:-

John was an older student at the glass centre in Brierly Hill in about 1982, after running his own advertising business.  Got bored after retiring, so set up a glass house in Cambridge, making unique pieces of copper & ruby glass. It was my fault he went down that direction, because I showed him how no two melts ever come out the same. That was it, he was hooked. John worked for about 3 years on some amazing pieces, & then had heart problems, & died during a bypass op.  A sad day, we all lost a great artist that day. & I lost a friend.  You have a very special piece.

Many thanks to all who replied to my message.

Regards., John.

With thanks to Richard Golding for the above information.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version